1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HIS has AGP Radeon HD 2600 XT

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't be surprised if the AGP port has a stranglehold on the cards performance.

3. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I doubt much bottlenecking will happen, Tom's Hardware ran an X1900XTX and an 8800GTS in x1, x4, x8 and x16 modes. The 8800 suffered a bit at x8, but the X1900XTX didn't lose much performance between x8 and x16(1 FPS in games and 18 3DMarks in 06). The HD 2600XT is probably gonna be closer to an x1900 in performance then an 8800, so hopefully that will hold true for the AGP versions. Since AGP was still out for 939 and 775 there are people with dual core CPUs and AGP motherboards, and if they don't want to get rid of their current mobo this would be useful. The bottleneck with most AGP systems would probably be the CPU in the older AGP systems(AthlonXP/lower clocked P4).

4. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I upgraded to a PCIe mobo for nothing. Darn.

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I only hope UT3 wont absolutely need a dual core cpu...... if so then this card would be perfect for my dothan @ 2.7ghz

6. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Wow, so we've now got the second generation of AGP and PCI's successor and still companies are clinging on....

7. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Hey, you still see IDE, Floppy, Serial and PS/2 Ports on boards don't you :(

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Now they just need Linux Drivers ;)

9. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

It is the tech like this that is saving me from going out and getting a new mother board, processor and RAM for my PC :clap: I just need to save up enough cash for one of thies super AGP cards and i'm set :D so what if it isn't as powerful as the PCIe version, it is still better then the PCIe X1950 card :D

10. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Which is a good thing IMO.

11. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

It is also going to be über expensive compared to the PCI-E version

12. ./^\.Ace./^\.

But cheaper then replacing most of my PC :yawn:

13. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

there are a ot of people with aging machines out there that may not want to buy a whole new pc so this is a good thing and as much as I like moving on the the newest thing this does have a place.

there are agp slots of amd 939 boards that can take fast ddr and dual core procs so the rest of the system can keep up with the gfx cards instead of being limited by them too much. (although i know the bus might be a slight prob)

14. ./^\.Ace./^\.

Sapphire is also making a Radeon HD 2600 XT, as well as a cheaper Radeon HD 2400XT and Pro. http://www.sapphiretech.com/ Take a look for your self, there are no pictures of the cards but you can still read up on them.

15. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

wow - and 2 years ago i thought my x850 pro would be the last round of upgrades for my aging system -

i even very nobly held off from buying a 1950 pro when the agp's came around last winter.

i am so very tempted to go for the instant gratification and get the 2600 ... but i dont know if i want to be saddled with my current (172w) display ... widescreen monitors have come leaps and bounds since i forked out 700$ (U.S.) for a first-gen 1280x768 panel ... but with a child and wife pc gaming (and the inherent "gotta have the new one!" syndrome) was bumped WAY down on my priority list ... pretty much at the bottom :(

there's always tax return time next spring ...

16. Mandown

Mandown What's a Dremel?

I have been waiting for this for a while now, i plan on getting one of the HD 2600XT hopefully with GDDR4. The pricing for the AGP version is actually not going to be like they were with the X1K series were there was upwards of 50$ difference. They are supposed to very very close in price to the PCI-E versions, about a 20$ -30$ difference. But there is word going around that there will be a HD 2900 for AGP as well. I saw it somewhere on the internet and i think Powercolor was going to do it. I'm not 100% sure but i wouldn't doubt if they did have a 2900 for AGP.

17. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I can't believe people are still tying some fictional heavenly performance advantage of PCIe over AGP, with respect to video cards (not the bus architecture). Yes, I'm still using an AGP system, and it appears that my very best video card is the worst of the entire bit-tech community.

18. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

the ps2 ports for a mouse give faster performance than a usb interface.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

PS2 mice are going, IDE is only at the grace of 3rd party chipsets and should disappear from some boards this time next year I recon. Serial and Parallel? Maybe some like MSI, but no one uses it. Floppy has only held around as long as it has thanks to XP.

20. Liete87

Liete87 What's a Dremel?

Any news on the date for this card? Or is there any place to pre-order it.

Tags: Add Tags