1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other In the News... File Sharing.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Abhorsen, 25 Aug 2009.

1. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

2. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

You can see people are unsure to anwer, but it's nothing to worry about.

Let's say your one of the 5-10% of knowledgeable users with encryption, why would they come after you when they have 90% they could get by just clicking their fingers? :)

3. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

it'll never work its to easy for people to spoof their ip and with people using unsecured wireless prove that it was them downloading and not someone using the connection with out permission

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

more like hardcore clueless.. think the trick would be, send a letter to the offending ip- if it's shared connection they will have to track down who is doing it.. second offense is a disconnect

I don't think fining anyone does any good.. saddle poppers downloading content and they don't even know how to avoid being detected- running vuse or whatever.. that should be enough to get them to stop without going over the top..

problem with disconnects is the false positives are going to happen- as long as you start getting most of the poppers though, the rest of the poppers get scared enough to buy legally instead of stretching thier midget minds (which are unstretchable heheh) and let them go back to being a puppet

5. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

It does seem like a poor plan to try and solve piracy. Really don't think it will work...

6. fredcoke

fredcoke What's a Dremel?

cutting of file sharers

So the great and the good think the best way to stop this is to cut off 9 million users.
    The isp's must be shitting a brick this is about 5 billion pounds a year to them and the telco's in the uk alone.
    The govenment has not been thinking here all there work to put gov online was for nothing then as one 6th of the population will not be able to get online to use it.
    Now you are thinking they can go to a web cafe and get on line!
    But a better plan is to go to the offices of the gov dept and make them fill in the forms how long do you think it will be before they give up.
    Then maybe they will send for the compitition watchdogs and set them on film and music industry over it costing the same to download a song or film as buy a dvd/cd.
    :sigh:

Last edited: 30 Aug 2009
  7. October

October Mariachi Style

IMO the best way to prevent piracy is provide a better alternative. I buy DVDs (because I love buying dvds in fairness) but also cos I love uber special editions, you cant download film cells (Battle Royal (although being a part-time projectionist has its perks..)) or lenticular blocks (ultimate Blade Runner box). It's that kind of thing that makes it worthwhile splashing the cash. Same thing applies to music, look at the special edition of Billy Talent III.