1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks PC network solution in new home

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blinkieleblind, 28 May 2012.

1. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

Hello again,

I have just moved in to a new pad however the spare bedroom we have converted to an office does not have a telephone socket to connect the router. I play a lot of online games on my pc (sig) and want a decent solution to connect the pc to the network.

i have a long ethernet cable and could possible wire a connection up but it would be a pain in the ass to do and i may not get it all the way (haven't checked).

My options are to go wired as above, buy a pci wireless card, or buy the mains ethernet adaptor plugs. The router is not too far away so a wireless signal should not be a problem but I have reservations about pci wireless cards for gaming and downloads.

Im not too familiar with the mains ethernet adapting solution and how effective it is. especially when they seem quite expensive.

If anyone has any advice used any of these products then please pass it here.

Much abliged. :thumb:

2. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

best option is wired nothing else compares. there's always a solution for getting a wired network in a house. whether going under carpets , floorboards, going out of house then back into house.

its also cheaper even if you get a handyman/builder to install the cable. then compared to the other solutions

3. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

I use a (2x) pairs of 500 Mbs powerline adaptors and I can tell that there is a slight delay compared to hard wired. Not good for games I would imagine ?

dunx

4. krishan

krishan Minimodder

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

5GHz N450/600/900 wireless? Less interference and if it's not too far away it could be nippy. Not sure about bandwidth vs latency though.

If your wiring is good and the ring is clear of interference (don't have your fridge or oven on it) then powerline should work well.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Bit techs review doesn't tell you if they are good for gaming as there are no latency tests.

But I have done much gaming on powerline and they are a good match for wireless, the Zyxel ( I have PL4205) and I assume others of the new breed can set priority on them, once done the latency back to the router for me is 1ms with the biggest spike being single digit, if left in default state it is 2-3ms typical, either way its not the biggest part of the equation in gaming lag that all comes after your router.

My old powerline adaptors weren't so hot with a bit more latency but never had any issues/complaints when playing or hosting games on them either to be honest, I think so long as you get consistent performance you can have a good time.

7. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

I use TP Links 200mbs plug adaptors and I think they're brilliant. Low ping on bf3, and I'm usually one of the lowest on counter strike source. I haven't had any problems.

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

The trick with any network is to set MAC = IP rules in the DHCP server, outside the DHCP range.

9. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

Why's that?

10. blinkieleblind

Thanks for the help everyone.

i have a feeling that the oven and fridge may be on the same ring but will check when i get home.

At the moment i may try a wireless solution as they don't seem that expensive IF i cant get the wire round easily. thinking about something like:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/netgear-wn311b-100pes-rangemax-wireless-n-pci-adapter

any opinions?

next option is to diy a phone socket into the office.

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

It is the basis for a stable network and improves connection issues.

So PC A is MAC: a = IP: A

You can take this a step further and on the PC set to the matching IP as in the DHCP server (in you Router)

It also lowers you latency a little bit.

Enables 2 PCs to have a chance at playing on one Server.
    IPV6 is best for this.

Each device with a NIC has a MAC, hence you homeplug has its own MAC.

12. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Homeplugs are great, I don't really get where all this negativity about the comes from. I have a decent amount of experience in multiple locations with homeplugs and they've always been fine, apart from in a house with seriously complicated wiring (5 fuse boxes).

13. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Do you have any evidence to support this? An IP address is just that, an address. Once connected, whether via DHCP or using a static IP, there shouldn't be any difference in performance.

And as for the two PCs gaming on the same server...same again.

I'm willing to be proven wrong, I'm just interested to find out where you got this from. The only way I can see this happening is if the DHCP server is bogging down the router for whatever reason, which of course is very improbable.

To the OP, how far is the PC from the router? As Bindi said, 5GHz Wi-Fi should work well if there aren't many obstructions, but performance does diminish quickly if there are.

Another option is running the Ethernet cable through some trunking to your PC.

14. blinkieleblind

pc will be relatively close to the router. so i am looking at that option to save hassle. ideally want to run the ethernet cable around but my missus may moan as the cable is blue and the walls are white :(

any suggestions for a good pci/pcie wireless card for a desktop??

thanks.

15. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

For the price of a wireless card you might as well get a wall plug adaptor if there's no interferance

16. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

This is the basic(s) for network architecture. There is literally thousands of web-pages with detailed information on this subject, but to find the actual reasons behind this truth you are almost forced to buy a book or take a course in Network admin.

Naturally If you get a good (read ~100 pound router, with quality soft and hardware) this will never be an issue.

As to two players on one server behind 1 router. This depends greatly on how the game identifies the player as unique. If it is done completely account based it will work in most cases baring the cheap free @%$# you get from your ISP.

If it is IP based and you have only IPV4 goodluck might work with this set up and it might not.
    If Server, ISP and Router can handle IPV6 you should not need to do this.

Personally after spending a large quantity of time researching and working through these issues, I bought a high-end CISCO router and still set this up so that everything always works and so that my micro server based services are reachable worldwide.

17. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Buy a
    White cable....... :D

18. blinkieleblind

A WHITE cable you say! what sort of magic is that???? :jawdrop: :p

19. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I guess I am very lucky My misses understands my Tech needs :p
    Sadly we are renting and my Landlord doesn't so I use 500mb Solwise powerlan adapters :(
    Luckily the work quite well.

20. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Ah, so it's at least partially based around the weaknesses of the router? I'll have a further read around. Thanks for this :)