1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Mason7773, 12 Sep 2011.

1. Mason7773

Mason7773 What's a Dremel?

What do you guys think?

- INTEL CORE I5 2500 - 3.30GHz - 6MB
    - Manufacturers supplied cooler
    - 8GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 single module x2
    - 1000Gb SATA Hard Drive SATA 2
    - ASUS P8H61 REV3, ATX - 2xDDR3 1333,- 3 PCI - 1 PCIE16 - 2 PCIE
    - CiT 500W Black Edition PSU
    - Integrated Sound Card
    - 3.5" Internal Card Reader.

Price: £421.67

I'm just looking to add a mid-range graphics card now. I'm not a PC gamer, but I wouldn't mind having something there so I can give it a go... hopefully something that can handle most games.

So yeah, just looking for an overlook on what i've put together so far.

2. Dave_Goodchild

Dave_Goodchild Another CPC refugee

Are you planning to fold on this computer?

Dave

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

3. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

hi the only thing i would change is the psu

4. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Hi Mason, first off things like this belong in the Hardware forum where losers like me spend all their time telling other people how to spend their money.

There are a lot of things to consider for a build like this and this depending on your needs this might be completely the wrong way to go, or it might be completely the right way to go, who knows!

What we need to know is.

What is your budget?

What will you be using the PC for?

What is your current PC?

You can post in here and I'll reply but I highly recommend posting a new thread in the hardware section with the above detail including your proposed build.

A couple of quick things though in case you read this and never come back.

Unless you have a particular requirement, you do not need 16gb of memory. 8gb is the peak area per price and you can get 8gb of Corsair Vengence for £44.16 (Last time I check a day or two ago). That would be perfect.

Additionaly, that PSU should go absolutely no where near your or any other PC.

At absolute minimum you want to be looking at something like a Corsair 430W Builder series at £34 ish. I know on the face of it it might seem as though "Surely 500W is better?" but it really isn't. There are many things to take into consideration when getting a PSU and quality is everything. a cheap PSU like the one you've selected could possibly go boom and take your entire system with it. The PSU is one area you should definitely not skimp on.

But yes... Feel free to reply to this or make a new post in the Hardware forum. I'll probably post in that too :p

5. Mason7773

Mason7773 What's a Dremel?

Hey mate,

I've posted things in reply to the advice given in my thread in the Hardware section, and days later it's still not showing up... It will take me forever months trying to reply in there, lol.

Anyway...

CASE: Antec 100
    PROCESSOR: Intel i5 2500K
    CPU COOLER: Gelid Tranquillo
    MOTHERBOARD: MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
    MEMORY: Corsair Memory Vengeance Jet Black LP 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    POWER SUPPLY UNIT: Corsair CX500
    GRAPHICS CARD: AMD 6870
    HARD DRIVE: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB F3

1) I've decided on 8GB RAM, instead of the 4GB.
    2) I'm thinking of the Antec 300 Three Hundred PC case, instead of the Antec 100, what do you think?
    3) I thought that the i5 2500k was only if you're planning to overclock? that's why I was thinking about the i5 2500 instead.
    4) That graphics card is a bit above budget for me :-/