1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Watercooling For The Daft

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grand_witch, 17 May 2011.

1. grand_witch

grand_witch What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I recently was given a brand new TJ07 by a friend moving abroad and decided that it was a waste not to let it fulfil its destiny and watercool it. I have been doing some research and have become confused about the design of the loop and was hoping I could get some advice. There is so much conflicting information out there.

Spec:

• i5 2500 K
    • Asus motherboard ( model undecided)
    • GTX 570
    • Silverstone TJ07
    • PSU Corsair 850HX

My question is can I get away with a single loop for the CPU and GPU and a 3 X 120mm Rad? If so what would be the key considerations regarding components? My current thinking is:

• XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir with DDC Ultra 18W Pump
    • Koolance CU1020V 360mm Triple Radiator
    • EK Supreme HF Easy Mount CPU Waterblock
    • EK FC5X0 GTX GW Full Cover Waterblock for NVIDIA 570
    • compression fittings

Regards

Daniel

2. Strudul

Strudul ~

Single loop is fine
    Pump is fine
    Upgrade to a XSPC RX360 rad
    Compression fittings are good

3. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Looks good to me, agree with xTatic on the rad.

Also, start thinking about the size of your fittings. Im still trying to get my head round it myself, but you need to decide what size hose & fittings you want so that it all matches & fits ok.

Im going for 3/8" inside diameter and 1/2" outside diameter....... Or at least, thats what i think is the 'fat' looking tubing lol!

Belated edit!!!!: Check out Bloody_Petes water cooling log, its really helpful for beginners (which im still very much classed as one).

Pete will no doubt check into this thread at some point and offer his help because he is so super and awesome.

good luck

Last edited: 17 May 2011
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Start by looking at my thread (shame you you 2 for not suggesting it) as lots of people have found it very helpful :) The link is in my sig. Then if you have anyother questions, fire away :)

5. grand_witch

Great link, thanks, it has given me lots o think about. I was especially interested in the part about distilled water and using coloured tubing. Now I need to decide the tubing size.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The best advice I can give you is research as much as you can :) I picked up everything I know in about 6 months solid research, although that has now been augmented :)

7. grand_witch

Ok after a bit of research I have decided to go for a quad rad as I have the space and it will help to reduce noise which is one of my primary goals. After a read around and some very confusuing times on the excellent http://skinneelabs.com/ I have come up with the following shortlist:

Phobya G-Changer 480 Ver. 1.2 Black
    Magicool XTREME QUAD 480 Long Radiator
    Swiftech MCR420 - QP 480mm radiator
    Koolance

At the moment I am leaning towards the Swiftech as all reviews say it is one of the best allrounders at low fan speeds. Any advice would be much apreciated.

Regards

Daniel

8. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I'd seriously recommend adding an XSPC RX480 to that shortlist.

9. grand_witch

I would agree in performance terms but does the far greater cost justfiy it?

10. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Also, if noise is an issue, remember that pumps vibrate a lot. I use one of those xspc res for dcc pumps and i find it does rattle a bit. It may be my case (ATCS 840) but i havce has to use some foam to isolate it.

Personally I went for 1/2 inner diamater tubing (19/13 mm) and compression fittings which look great! The only issue is that they are bigger than barbs and the tubes can come loose if you fiddle with them.

anyway have fun and do post some pics

Last edited: 23 May 2011
  11. grand_witch

Thanks for the advice. I have been reading up on the noise and it is a cause for concern. So option 2 is to attach a EK-Multioption RES X2 - 250 Advanced to the motherboard tray as I have seen done on a number of builds which looks like a very neat option. Example below:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199432

12. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

You might find a 250mm res it a bit too long in the TJ07. It will fit but would be awkward to get the tubing on. I think the one in the piccie you linked to is 150mm which is also the size I use. I use Phobya res now mainly because I had a problem with EK res and also because I like the metal components and finish.

13. slaw

That's a good point. When I get around to rebuilding my setup I will go for a phobia Res and mount my ddc pump (with a top) in some 5,25 bays

One other thing, remember to put in a draining tube as it will help a lot when it comes time to drain your loop.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not if you have a tube res, as you can just unscrew the top and tip it out, then leave it to hang and it'll drain the system... Thats my plan anyway :p

15. grand_witch

I was going to go for the EK-Multioption RES X2 150, but I really like the look of the Lund Pom Resevoir. There does not seem to be many reviews does anyone know anything about it?

So far the build stands at (oh how things have changed from my first post)

XSPC RX Series 360mm Triple Radiator : RX360
    EK Supreme HF Easy Mount CPU Waterblock
    EK FC5X0 GTX GW Full Cover Waterblock for NVIDIA 570
    Laing DDC1+ Ultra Pump 600 L/hr with EK V2 X-Top in Acetal

16. slaw

Its so simple when you put it like that!

Thats looking good to me. As for the res, i personally havent seen any reviews but what i would say is the Phobia one has the little divider in the bottom (you have to buy it seperately for the EK res) to stop the water creating a whirlpool in the res. This causes air to be sucked back in to the loop.

17. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

and the Anti-Cyclone works in the Phobya. Also the 2 Phobya res's I have haven't cracked unlike the EK ones.

One thing to watch out for with the Phobya res's though is they're very heavy as the base and top are solid, plated brass.

Last edited: 26 May 2011
  18. grand_witch

OK now I have bought most of the bits, I am very impressed with the build quality of Lund Pom reservoir. My only thing now is a new graphics card. The question is what 570 to get? I have never had to buy a card and consider what GPU waterblock will fit it.

Any advice would be most appreciated,

19. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

evga cards are pretty much a guarantee as they follow reference layouts. also one of the few that replacing the cooler with a block does not void the warranty.

20. grand_witch

I have just checked the EK website and they don't seem to support EVGA cards for Full cover according to their compatibility tester.