1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [07/07] Cemetary Gate

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by trigger, 24 Jul 2007.

1. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

I may be pushing my luck with the theme here, but it appears to be very open to interpretation, so...

[​IMG]

2. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

It reminds me of the opening scene in "Doctor Who: BLINK"

H.B.

3. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Can you do it in b/w just so I can see how it looks?

4. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Thanks for the comments. I don't have access to the original at the moment, and this entry has had an orton effect added, but here is a quick BW conversion on the above orton-ised version:

[​IMG]

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Nice! I like the softness of the gate against the light behind it.

6. Mother-Goose

Hmmmm, I think it fits the theme more in black and white, it's a kind of classic victorian (secret garden?) elegence. Very nice shot.

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I wouldn't mind being buried in this cemetery. Address/Business #?

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I agree, though it might work even better with a light sepia tone applied.

9. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Seconded Firehed, its a really nice shot, but that sepia tinge would look the puppy's privates IMO.

Joe

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It does look very nice with a sepia twinge to it. Very victorian era type affair. Lovely pic. :)

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm going to go against the general consensus and say that I prefer the color version. The black and white version lacks the contrast to bring out the details, and I don't think the soft focus really works as well - in black and white it just looks out of focus. Since a lot of the objects share the same luminance, a simple b&w conversion didn't do it justice; the objects are lost among each other. Using the Channel Mixer (or similar utility in your image editing program of choice) may help set the gate apart from its surroundings.

The color version has a very dreamy quality which, thanks to the soft focus, enhances the subject. I like the way the old, rusted gate contrasts with the lush, green foliage. It's kind of poetic in that circle-of-life kind of way.

Just my thoughts.

-monkey

12. Mother-Goose

I see what you are getting at the black and white supermonkey, I agree now you have said it, if you removed the soft focus and upped the contrast I think it would look great!

As for the sepia, I wasn't sure about it until I got home and did it, it looks great, especially with the soft focus.

13. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

That dreamy feel was what I was going for (that's the image I had in my head when I was there, just a matter of turning that into reality...).

Thanks for the comments all, criticism is always appreciated :) I shall try a better BW conversion, perhaps on the original and see how a sepia version looks too tonight.

14. Mother-Goose

Yep trigger, definitely on the original. I don't think there has been any criticism either which is good, just suggestions on how to get the most out of what is a fantastic shot.

15. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Beautiful gate. Very dreamy with the corrosion and the vines. I like the color version best as it gives more detail.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Very nice pic. :thumb:

I would prefer it to be sharper, though. It's a bit unpleasant to look at when it's fuzzy like that.

Black and white with a bit better contrast and a little sepia tone would look nice, i think :)

17. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

That's a great picture, very nice ethereal feeling (perfect fit for the place!!) due to the bloom of the light... I love over-exposure effects!! The contrast between the setting (more obscure in concept, after all it's a cementery) and the smooth/curved forms from the gate does give the place a very elegant feel that one wouldn't expect to find... Very nice picture, congrats!!

Tags: