1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [In Win 901] Celestial

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by B NEGATIVE, 31 Dec 2015.

1. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

[​IMG]

A new worklog!

And a long overdue one,this build has been in the wings for 6 months now while I clear the decks with IDORU and its 'adventures'....

This build will be something 'adult' in theme,no Gamer theme here! Im using the awesomely decadent Rolls Royce Celestial Special edition as its inspiration,a car so heavy on details that it beggars belief!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That paint! Those diamonds! That lighting! The build quality!

I will be using as many of the design cues as possible for something that should be outstanding when completed.

You can see more of this amazing car here: https://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/en-GB/bespoke/celestial-craftsmanship.html

I still look at that car with utter jawdropping awe......I can only hope to do it justice.

The case I have chosen is an In Win 901 case,a compact case with a lot of potential,chosen mainly as i have not seen a really amazing build in one yet and certainly not with full watercooling.
    This requires some pretty substantial mods.....in B NEG speak this means "I guttted the case"......I went back to my previous ethos of integration,mainly to open the space up and keep everything clean,small cases are hard to make tidy,efficient design can overcome this.
    The hardware?
    Im reusing a lot of kit from a previous build so Im well taken care of,a 4770k,z97 Impact and a 290x with 16gb of Crucial Ballistix as the main component list although....you never know......XD
    Watercooling is a modified EK Predator kit with an EK impact block and a 290x GPU block.
    PSU will be a Silverstone SFX 600w.

So....the Case?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All those specs wont mean a thing for me tho......XD​

2. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Great stuff! The RR Celestial SE is mind blowing, perfect choice to center the theme around. No doubt you'll raise the bar once again. Now hurry up and post more photos. Always thought the 904 had great potential but would require a lot of work to open up it's WC options. So Looking forward to seeing where you take it's little brother.

J.

3. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

Rather than bore you will unboxings......

This is the motherboard im using,a Z97 Impact with an EK Impact monoblock......Take a last look at the stock unit.....

[​IMG]

All the mish mash of colour needs.....refining I think.

Lets start by covering all the caps with Anthracite grey vinyl....

[​IMG]

Then maybe spray all the copper a dark grey matt?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then do the I/O and all lthe little detail badges in the same Anthracite vinyl...

[​IMG]

Much better,the red will not be noticeable once the kit is all bolted in place.

Much more subtle I think.​

It will be the first fully watercooled one AFAIK,no mATX crazy this time....I did measure up for it but it aint ever going to happen

4. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Subbed! I stalk B on as many forums as I can! :)

5. noobas4urus

noobas4urus What's a Dremel?

My 901 is currently sitting in its box serving as a printer stand. Glad to see you giving this case some attention.

6. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

It is looking to be a great project.

7. B NEGATIVE

Will suit your fittings very well I think Huk........

:thumb:

Get them made Son.

8. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

Now the tray needs to have all the mounting hardware installed and a quick proof of concept mount.

Here is the tray that PARVUM milled for me,I will be drilling the holes myself but PARVUM helpfully spot drilled the placement.

You can also see what remains of the 901 chassis.......which is not very much.

[​IMG]

First thing to do is file back the mounts for the stock In Win internals,I want the tray on the external chassis as I will be drilling thru it and bolting the tray in place that way.
    These holes will be ground flat and filled but for now a file is enough.

[​IMG]

Drill the holes,I used a 2.5mm drill

[​IMG]

A quick way of mounting standoff's in Acrylic is using a soldering iron rather than risk shattering the Acrylic with a tap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done!

Now,lets have a look at it in the case for the first time.

[​IMG]

Add the mobo...

[​IMG]

I used the GPU bracket from the remains of the DFM parts I didnt use in LUMO for a really clean look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very Clean,Im excited to see this come together!

Next update will feature.....

An 18w DDC PWM Predator?

[​IMG]

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I see you are slowly inching toward scratchbuild territory.

10. B NEGATIVE

Slowly indeed.....

I have a design that Im working on....totally depends on me finding someone that can form 4" Alu tube tho....and me learning the black art of Alu welding....

Whats life without retinal burns and housefires tho?

11. jojoharalds

jojoharalds Minimodder

i like it so far....i mean whats not to like ☺

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

12. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

Evening.

So,an update?

Due to the space constraints,I am using the EK 240 Predator kit coupled with the blocks I already have instead of the MX block included in the kit.

But.....because I could rather than have to....I have modded the Predator with a 18w DDC rather than the stock 6w unit.

If unboxings offend then....tough. XD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The defunct MX block,I may do something with this and do a give away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A look at the control board for the whole unit.

[​IMG]

Seems they use a once size fits all approach and used the same board with the 360 version.

Because the stock pump is a DDC 'clone',all the hardware is identical so,after swapping the wiring over to the new pump and an addition of a heatsink to make it all pretty, we have a 'AIO' with a 'proper' pump!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much of a work update as I have finally finished the mill and Im ready to cut the rest of the panel work.
    Had some interesting problems with HSMWorks and Carbide3d GRBL but,after much swearing and comments on the parentage of the GRBL designer,I got it fixed. Now the neighbours can have a variation of noises other than a compressors and power tools.....

The weekend promises to be busy!

13. Cheapskate

D*mn. You must be kinky on the weekends.

4" tube system: For a fascia or frame? :eeek:
    Alu Welding: Less fire than the other styles, but getting a sunburn on your eyes and through 3 shirts is a thing.

14. B NEGATIVE

I have had a chair workstation design kicking around for a couple of years that I need to do.

My 1st Alu welding escapade ended up with Alu that looked like it had been shat out of something from AvP....

15. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

I have been fighting disconnect problems with the mill so all my promising to get things done has been falling short....Not any more! I fixed the signal noise problem with 1000uf 50v cap on the 24v input,no more disconnects!

So,I made the first cover today,this one is in 2mm and is for the backside of the Acrylic tray. I sized it 5mm smaller than the acrylic piece so light will shine thru at the edges.

A little video of it in action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGi2e9ZvCS4&feature=youtu.be

And the finished piece!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im glad to say its cutting with .1 of PARVUM's big XYZ too.

Now I have to cut the other side and cut the midplate in 4mm.

So very glad its doing what its told now!

Last edited: 12 Feb 2016
  16. Cheapskate

unshielded electronics right next to a big ass motor? What were they thinking?

17. B NEGATIVE

Indeed,Im seriously considering moving it off the structure altogether......or making a Faraday cage.
    Just started cutting the other side,got to the last .5 and the Z has a freak out and drops it too deep,I watched it chew the alu for a while then decided enough was enough. I was being cheeky and left the VFD on the same breaker as the machine tho,something that causes problems with these boards. I have a 2.3 board that Carbide sent me so I might give that a whirl.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2016
  18. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

A productive day in the shed, after all the drama with the disconnect issues, means the tray covers have been finished....finally.

2mm Alu sheet so it adds rigidity the the acrylic.

I wanted to keep it clean and tidy,no fluff but a simple elegance,there will be some more accent pieces cut to frame the res slot and the wiring slots.
    Obviously these parts need paint still but summer is coming and I have plenty to do in the meantime. The heatpress inserts are en route for the acrylic to make the anchor points for all the panels and to anchor the acrylic itself to the case body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The panels are cut a few mm back so the internally lit acrylic will give the edges a nice soft glow,I will be using EL paper for this under the backside of the tray panel,this will back light the res too.

[​IMG]

So next up is mount the tray and tray panels to the case then cut the midpanel,HDD mounts and the other pieces for backlighting the 'diamonds' on the front and top of the case.

Im also looking for a 600w Silverstone SFX PSU if anyone knows anyone.......

Drive careful now!​

19. Supercluster

Supercluster I dream in G-code

I'm liking the slightly offset backed by EL paper idea. If the execution is right it should look really tight and elegant. Looking forward to seeing it lit!

20. B NEGATIVE

I certainly hope so,definitely the look I want!