1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Looking to get a new case, which one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suenstar, 16 Feb 2013.

1. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Yep, another thread looking for recommendations on a case.

A friend has given me a new GPU, the HIS 7970 IceQ X2:
    http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-691.shtml

After holding it next to my Raven RV03, I've noticed that the extended length of the card (31.1cm) is going to be cutting it very close to the fans at the bottom of the case.
    So rather than be sensible and swap the Raven's extra thick fans for something thinner, I've decided to start looking for a new case. :D

I've had a read through the other recent threads but started to go a little crazy last night after reading reviews and looking at pictures until 00:30 when all the text and images was blurring into one big mess.

At the moment there are a few cases in my consideration list:

• NZXT Switch 810
    • Corsair Obsidian 650D/800D
    • Lian Li PC-A76X/A77FB
    • Silverstone TemJin TJ09/TJ10

I'm sort of leaning towards the Switch 810 as it looks like it'll be fun to mod, but thought it would be worth getting the opinions of some more people.

At the moment I've got a rough budget of £250 to buy a new case & any additional case parts in the next month.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: 18 Feb 2013
  2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I've had an 800D for 18 months and absolutely love it. I bought it with the intention of going full watercooling, but they don't make full cover blocks for my current GPUs, so I've used it as an air cooled case since owning it.

I did have to install a 3x5.25" drive bay fan intake (Lian Li), and also bolt a fan on to the rear of the hot swap bay cable cover to direct air down the gpus to make it a decent air cooling case, but I have to say I'm happy with the results. My overclocked 580s don't get above 80c with the two little airflow tweaks and the CPU is currently cooled by an H100i until my next build. I have little need to ever buy another case unless they change form factor to something the 800D doesn't support.

The 900D is out early April, although that case might blow your budget. Of the cases you've got listed, and excluding the 800D, I prefer the NZXT too. I think it's a great looking piece of kit and the performance is excellent also.

3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I had the 700D (almost identical to the 800D), it was just absolutely massive. If you want a big 'un, you can't go wrong with one of them.

4. suenstar

Cheers for all the info Sentinel.
    The knowledge about adding on a few bits to direct air is really helpful.

I think the 900D would be a little too big, I'd probably go crazy trying to work out how to fill all that space.

Thanks hamza for the recommendation as well.

Strangely I haven't seen too many extensive mods on the 800D, might possibly be a good reason for me to get one so it gets a bit more modder love.
    My only worry with the 800D is if I stick it under my desk for a while, I'd imagine the cooling performance would drop a little if those fans didn't have much room. Which is sort of why I was considering the 650D.

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Like you say, putting an 800D under your desk is likely to suffocate it, or any air cooler for that matter. That's why mine has its own pedestal off the floor next to my desk where it can draw fresh air away from the inevitable carpet dust. Besides, why would you buy a great looking case with a massive window to display your components and then hide it away?!

Ref the mods, if you want me to upload a couple of pics, I'm more than happy to should you go down the 800D route.

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I've had the 700D in the past, and it's one of the nicest case's i had worked on, add to the fact it's built like a tank. The Side Panels where quiet thick, and solid, and pretty weighty too. The only real changes i made to mine was installing 3 Scythe GT's into the roof, Nice and cool.

Sam

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I had the 800D, a very nice case, well build etc.

I've since moved onto smaller cases and can't imagine going back to something that big, but if you want a big case, then I think it's a good shout :)

8. suenstar

Looks like most are in favour of the Obsidian 800D.
    I'll have a play in Solid Works and see what kind of mods I can come up with.

It'll probably jump between the floor and my desk, depending on what I'm doing.
    It should mostly live on the desk, I just need it off while I work because even the slightest vibration can be a pain when drawing on the tablet.

9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I use this desk:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S19861339/

and my PC sits atop the storage part of the unit. No vibrations at all. I can stand a coin on it's edge and it doesn't move. The 800D is so heavy when filled with kit that the sheer weight of it will negate any potential vibration sources anyway. I wouldn't concern yourself over that too much.

10. suenstar

That's good to know, plus the case being heavy should encourage me to leave it on the desk so I don't do my back in. :lol:

I've done cardboard mock-ups of the cases & a couple of plans for mods now, based on those the Silverstone and Lian Li are off my list as I think they would be too much work.
    I think based on the feedback and also due to the good catalogue of extra parts, I'm likely to go for the 800D; going to see if I can get to a shop to see one in person and see if I can have a thorough look at it.

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I see you've crossed off the TJ09, but thought I'd mention that I'm thinking of selling mine at the moment. It also comes with the 240mm rad mounting rails if you were going to go the H100 etc route.

12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

You may be hard pushed to find a high street/retail park business with one in stock, but if you have a look on the forums, there's plenty of build logs full of pics to give you an idea of scale and options available.

The 800D isn't everyone's cup of tea and to be honest, there are better cooling cases out there but Beelzebub will ice skate to work before I hastily sell mine.

Worth considering Parge's sale too though dependent upon asking price. The TJ09 is a very good chassis, performing well in standard form for both air and watercooling, whereas the 800D requires modifying for air cooling, adding another ~£40 on top of case price.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2013