1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Speculation Shenanigans - NVIDA GTX 7XX Series - GTX 770 £330

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 23 Apr 2013.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

A rather speculative stab in the dark article on an Nvidia refresh, plucked from the air after recent rumours about the Titan LE:

GTX 780 = Titan LE
    GTX 770 = OC'd GTX 680
    GTC 760Ti = OC'd GTX 670

LINK

Please ensure you have one of these to hand while reading the article.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 30 May 2013
  2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well as some people think that the GTX Titan is what the GTX 680 should have been, and now we see that 1 site is saying that the Titan LE will actually be the GTX 780, then you have to wonder if the rumoured GTX Titan Ultra is what the GTX 780 should have been.

I hate it when 1 company has no competition and giving them the ability to launch Mid to High End cards, as High to Ultra End cards and charge a premium for them.

It's just like what is happening with the CPU's, Intel has no competition in the high end such as 3930K and upwards area so they charge a premium for them for those who want it.

With AMD apparently not releasing any new cards this year, and the 8000 series just being slightly improved rebranded 7000 series cards you have to wonder, just how rediculous the prices are actually going to be on these cards if there is nothing from AMD to compete against them.

The only card AMD have that actually competes performance wise and possibly cost wise against a GTX Titan, is going to be the 7990 and that's a dual gpu card.

They have nothing on the single gpu cards that actually competes in all terms other than there cards being cheaper with the current GTX Titan card, so if Nvidia release a slightly slower and even a faster Titan card then you have to wonder what will AMD do.

3. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Then again, there is very little point in producing a new gpu if the ones that are on the market can play any game on max at 45fps (limiut of human eye), with the exception of crysis 3!

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

So very true.

For me the reason for me wanting to upgrade is because I am either going to go for a single 4K monitor/tv but, if that doesn't happen then it will be if I decide to go for 3 monitors in surround but if I don't do either the 4K route or surround monitors then I have, no need to upgrade simply because I can already max out any game out there with no issues.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

apart from making a boat load of money off those who've not yet upgraded or those that will always upgrade to the latest and greatest.

While the 7970GHz editions are at least on par with the 680's thanks to some nifty driver work from ATI, we all remember the GTX 670Ti shambles that fell out when the 680 was released. I think Nvidia will bide their time and wait to see what AMD do first before they decide on what rung to place their next cards on. It would take some serious improvements from AMD to match any GK110 based card.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2013
  6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I just want GK110 to be available at less ridiculous prices. I'll spend £400 or so on a GPU, but not £600+.

If the Titan LE is going to form the top of the 'normal' range (ie: GTX 780) then I'll buy one. I don't mind NVIDIA/AMD releasing ultra high-end cards, and charging obscene money for them, because I simply will never buy one.

7. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I don't moan when Lamborghini build an Aventador when all i can afford is an Vauxhall Astra. Technology rolls downhill.

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Producing such huge chip is simply not cheap, especially if you got low yields (pretty much during the whole last year). Add the fact that there was a high demand for that chip in a 1500$+ price range (Tesla, Quadro) and that resulted in absolutely no chance for GK110 ever being GTX680.

And while the yields are probably better now, we still talk about a huge, massive chip which is simply too expensive to produce and that doesn't really allows NVIDIA to decrase the price. The only way to do that is to do what they do - faultless chips are Teslas and Quadros, maybe future Ultras; with one failed block they are Titans, with two they will be Titan LE. While that increases the number of cards they can sell, it still won't allow them to go at sub-600€ price.

@Cei: It is possible that Titan LE will be GTX780, but don't expect it to be anywhere near GTX680 launch price.

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

faugusztin, totally agree, but GK110 cannot remain expensive (and hence high end) forever. Kepler used to be restricted to the top cards, but is now across the entire range.

As you say, it's down the yields and improvements in manufacturing, which I can only hope NVIDIA improve over time, unless they want to have a permanently separated product line (Kepler, GK100).

10. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I suppose computex will reveal all, IMHO, AMD and NVIDIA would make more money if they along with game developers made crossfire and sli better then you could just add a 2nd gpu when you need an upgrade rather than splashing out on a new card.

11. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Not fussed, all I know is I want more Titans. \o/

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I take issue with this:

I think you are forgetting that Titan isn’t actually a normal part of Nvidias line up – hence the name. If you look at the performance increases between 280-480-680 they are all about the same order of magnitude (580 just a 480 refresh – both ‘Fermi’). If Titan didn’t exist then we would all be happy living in a world where the 680 costs ~£400 and is the top dog, aside from the dual GPU cards that cost roughly double.

Titan costs so much for three reasons

a) ‘Special Edition’ and limited SKU availability.
    b) It’s such a huge card with high chance of SMX failure that the yields are incredibly low (this is why Titan LE is on its way and why its late to the consumer channel).
    c) They can sell it in commercial channels (Render farms etc) for far more than regular consumers.

Nvidia isn’t just jacking up the cost of its top end card to £800. We have reached a point where advances in lithography, Keplers design and thus power consumption have come together and made possible a GPU core that is above and beyond what we can usually expect from the next generation of graphics cards. The top, top end cards have always costed £800-£1000 for as long as I can remember, and Titan is no different, it’s just that we are now at a stage where that can be done on a single GPU rather than two.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2013
    MjFrosty likes this.
  13. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I hear this same 'rumour' every time a new product line is launched for the last x years. True or false, I don't pay much attention to it any more; the more it is recycled, the less valid the claim seems.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Graphics cards have not really moved in price in years I've been expecting a price rise for the last few years.

If the new high end is £800 then so be it if the performance is there for the cost people will still buy it. Same cost as 2 680s cost me so not money I have not spent before.

Maybe the cost of components will start to rise AMD could certainly use it.

15. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

The mid range cost has moved up a fairly hefty amount.

The GTX460 was a much more affordable card part pay through it's life cycle than the GTX660ti or HD7870 is now.

16. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I believe this will be exactly what happens. I can't see Nvidia using the 'LE' nomenclature on such a high end card, that doesn't make sense even though it still has Titan in the name.
    I would hope that if the above where to happen then 6xx series cards would droop in price, but I don't think they will. I think we will be looking at something more like this:

GTX Titan Ultra = £900 - £1000
    GTX Titan = £750 - £850
    GTX 780 = £550
    GTX 770 = £450
    GTC 760Ti = £350
    And all 6xx cards staying the same price as the are now.

AMD doesn't have a single card to match anything above a potential 760Ti, unless they pull some kind of remarkable driver update out of their arses, which isn't completely unthinkable, but very unlikely.

Ljs likes this.
  17. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Thank you, that made me chuckle!

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

19. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I wonder how, if at all, the release of the new consoles will effect the demand and the price of GFX cards when they are released.

The relatively high prices of GFX cards must be pushing a few people towards console gaming.

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'll put my reputation on the line and guarantee you'll be able to buy an XBOX ONE for less than the release price of a GTX 780! :D