1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GeForce 7900 GT head-to-head

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Apr 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Reaper_Unreal

Reaper_Unreal Minimodder

Very nice review, nice to see some widescreen gaming thrown in the mix. I'm quite surprised at how well Oblivion runs at 1920x1200 with these cards, it seems like they're definately worth the money.

Also, I noticed you switched tracks in NFSMW to my favourite track. Mind you 4min is still slow :D It's also interesting that you should note that a higher fps makes faster cars more playable, it would seem that it would be better to sacrifice detail for speed in that case.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

I was pleasantly surprised with the Oblivion performance too - after playing for around 50 hours so far, I've learnt some decent tweaks that still gives a reasonable game experience.

We're using quite a slow car for recording, but I did test a maxxed out Carrera GT as my high speed test. ;)

Absolutely and had the NFSMW tests been 'highest playable', the details would've been lowered.

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Any chance you can stick the cards in SLI and re-run some of the tests biggles?

For the money, these cards are damn hard to beat :D

5. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

its very nice to see the widescreen side of things bigz, nice one!

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think we'll do something like that soon - I've got another 7900 GTX to review so I think that's a worthy consideration instead of a 7900 GTX. :thumb:

7. ContingenctPlan

ContingenctPlan What's a Dremel?

I got my XFX 7900GT XXX from ebuyer.com 3 weeks ago for £250, so it's worth checking there, too! :)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Whoops, forgot about Ebuyer when writing the article - they're definitely worth considering. Thanks for the feedback! :thumb:

9. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

How does overclocking or replacing the stock cooler affect the BFG warranty?

10. ContingenctPlan

ContingenctPlan What's a Dremel?

I'd imaging it'd nullify it. Best to email BFG to make sure

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

AFAIK, both void it. If you're looking to change coolers, Club-3D's warranty is not void by swapping the cooler :)

12. Rav

Rav What's a Dremel?

Ebuyer also have the BFG at £235 inc VAT, which is about £4 less than what i paid about a week and a half ago. Damn fine card for the money :thumb:

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I'm happy the perforamnce wasnt a long shot from a 7800gt, makes me feel a little better for buying my 7800gt.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Hmm... now I definately need that 7900GT. How you're able to play at much higher detail and resolution than I am with the next step up in WS resolution compared to my 6800gt is mind-boggling (I've got grass off, no HDR/bloom, no shadows and a lot of stuff towards the middle save draw distance, and it's still often choppy at 1680x1050).

The one I'm looking at is $320 for a 500MHz/1500MHz eVGA card... I was merely hoping to up the resolution and have it playable. Wow. I must ask, where the f*** is the AF setting in Oblivion? Do you just set it in the driver CP or is one of the options in there translating to that under a different name?

Much thanks for actually doing the high-res WS tests though. I personally think it's a bit funny that you can play Oblivion at 1920x1200 but apparently not 1600x1200 on the ol' tube (seeing that the resolution tends to make aliasing less noticible), but whatever. I was really looking for confirmation that I'd be able to play at 1920 with some level of detail, and this is just what I needed. Bit r teh :rock:

I suppose watercooling any brand card voids the warrantee, but what can I do...

15. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

you didnt mention www.overclock.co.uk either

in my experience their service is better then overclockers and their cheaper too

alot of people agree (ive herd plenty of horror storys about overclockers)

BTW
    Any chance bit tech can do a SLI roundup kinda thing, like SLI 7300 - 7900 (with single card comparisons)

There are alot of people around that say 2x 6800GT < 7800GT and so on, i would be interested to see if its true

(the general rumour seems to be 1x new card performs better then 2 of the previous ones)

Edit
    I would ask for crossfire benchies, but as far as ive herd so far crossfire doesnt improve, or worsens framerates and such

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

You have to control Oblivion AF from the CP - there's a driver profile so you can just enable it on a per-app basis.

You can play at 1600x1200, but you have to start turning off things that are nice to have on (tree canopy shadows being one of those things), and fade distances have to be turned down somewhat too. With generally high detail levels on XFX's XXX card, you can enjoy the game with loads of detail. I guess I should do some 1600x1200 vs 1280x1024 playable settings comparison screens.

You can change coolers with Club 3D without voiding the warranty, but (AFAIK) you can't buy them in the USA.

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'll have to see, but that's likely to happen after Computex (late June) as there's quite a lot of new products to cover before June arrives.

18. Kasrkin Guard

Kasrkin Guard What's a Dremel?

Doesn't eVGA allow you to do this aswell? I heard a while ago that they did so.

19. eric_r

eric_r What's a Dremel?

Nice review. I was looking at the XFX 7900gt and I am impressed. I think I may get the regular version though, we'll see. (I've seen some impressive overclocks on these cards too)

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm not 100% sure, I've got an eVGA card in so I'll have to check the warranty terms out. :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags