1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel teases 22nm tri-gate Atom system-on-chip parts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

3. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Rather than post a &%/( youtube vid - Ill merely say bleh.... Atom was wrong and poor when it came out and has caught up little in the past 5 years

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Atoms are actually quiet OK. The only thing they lack is GPU-performance. I have a Zotac IONITX A-E (Atom 330 with GeForce-9400) for a few years now running as a HTPC and it has enough power really to playback any media I throw at it. It's even powerful enough to play some older games at 1080p without problems.

The newer chips like the N2800 are not bad either, and the iGPU is powerful enough to playback BluRay-media aswell, and it draws way less power, then my old solution.
    When they move from 32nm to 22nm the TDP will drop even further and maybe they'll use the headroom for a more powerful iGPU to make the package better.

The problem with the Atoms in the mobile-market is it's x86-architecture. Developers have grown up with ARM in this sector and simply don't want to adopt to x86, allthough the mobile Atoms, like the Atom Z2760 have proven to be as powerful and efficient as the best ARM-packages allready.

The biggest advantage of the mobile Atoms really is the Windows-compatibility that allows to run native x86-software and it's really a shame that Microsoft uses the Tegra3 in the Surface RT, as the Z2760 is better in all aspects. I think Microsoft has taken the wrong turn here by going with an ARM-SoC.

The next year will tell, if intel can gain some ground in the mobile market, but this only depends on the developers really, as the new intel chips are not the problem to begin with.

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Alright buddy. Calm down. As the song says:

Tease me, tease me, tease me Tease me baby,
    till I lose control
    Tease me with your love until I lose control
    Take all my body and soul,

Not F&£$! Mate, your Atom is $)(!^. Boom... lost it.

:)

Do you mean Quiet OK. Like, don't say it too loud or it'll wake the neighbours, and they might have a thing or two to say about that!

OR: It's ok.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2013
  6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Atoms are fine, OK, allright, whatever term suits you...

7. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Think he means you mixed up quiet and quite! :)

8. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

9. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

I just put 2GB of RAM and a SSD in my 2010 Eee netbook and it's totally a different computer now. Well, before I don't know if I would have called it a computer to be honest. Now I can play anything up to 720 in VLC and I haven't run into an embedded video on a webpage that wouldn't play properly in Firefox flash player. It's just too bad I can't upgrade the horrible 1024x600 LCD *puke*

10. Xir

Xir Modder

I still like my Atom eee netbook.
    It's no powerhouse for sure but the battery still lasts about 8 hours. Don't know about HD playback but it suffices for DVD quality.
    Yeah the LCD is a bit small and it doesn't support digital output.
    Maybe i should look for one of the later makes.

11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yep.

To be fair, unless you were doing only playback of media, the atom used to be unacceptable. You could use and SSD, more RAM etc... but you were always only going to be doing the most basic of tasks.

As long as you were aware of that before the PC World salesman told you it would set your world on fire and you could edit video, run anti-virus scans and watch pron all at the same time because it's a dual core, you were fine.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

No, I surf and type a bit, if that's what you expect they perform well.
    If you buy a netbook for videoediting, well the name shoud have been a clue :D