1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress (no name) Raspberry Pi scratch build media centre update (11/07/12)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by legoman, 30 Jun 2012.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Sooooo, first proper case mod/build so something a little bit different.

Like many others i ordered myself a Raspberry Pi when they were first available. Mines here and ive been enjoying it since.
    I decided i wanted it as a media centre as many have but more over i wanted it as a standalone media device hence this build

Now in true Rpi fashion ive been keeping the costs down most of the kit im using is stuff i had lying around or kindly donated by friends.

Kit wise (so far)
    RPi
    7 port USB hub + Power adaptor
    60Gb 2.5" HDD
    HDD caddy
    40+60mm fan (more on that later)
    An LED
    lots of cables
    PCB Rails
    Lian Li case feet
    switches and connectors
    Perspex
    Mesh from an old speaker
    Stripwood

[​IMG]

I'm warning you now, im rubbish at most woodwork etc and this will be a slow build im working close to 50hrs a week.

Now, plans, i dont generally do them i have one in my head but i cannot use google sketchup and drawing annoys me.
    Basic idea is a box with a clear top meshed sides wit ha fan at one end for airflow.

But moving on, been playing with the layout for a little while and ended up with a stacked design and made some basic measurements so today between the downpours i attacked the stripwood with a saw and ended up with this

[​IMG]

Which nicely folds into this

[​IMG]

All the bits piled in

[​IMG]

The mass of space down one side is for the cables so, being so small i wont really have any proper cable management so this is the next best thing.

Next job is chop up the perspex to make a shelf for the USB hub and Rpi. The HDD will be sat in the bottom as the image above shows. Then work out where to put the connector holes. We have the power in, HDMI two USB ports and a pair of phono outs, the 5V in and a power switch.
    The finish for the wood is something im not sure on yet either being soft pine it dents easily so ill have to find something to help with that, any ideas would be much appreciated though!

Last edited: 11 Jul 2012
  2. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

been waiting for a Pi build, will be following with interest, good luck!

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Your choice of building material seems massive.

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Looking good. I'm keen to see how this one ends up

5. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Gotta love a build where a 2,5" disk is the biggest part :D

And I agree with Cheaps, the material choise for the casing seems a bit odd, it's so massive compared to the other parts.

6. ninjaplease

ninjaplease I don't know what I'm doing

Subscribed, I've had very similar ideas to this and with my pi arriving in 2 weeks, it'll be very good to see how you get on with it :)

7. legoman

Thanks guys im not 100% sold on it myself it was a lump i had lying around doing nothing its 15mm thick as well, I may be able to get some 6-10mm deep strips.

If icant find anything thinner i suppose at least it will be solid :rolleyes:

8. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

If you decide you want to downscale on the timber, I have some 9mm birch hardwood ply (cabinet quality S+/BB so no knots at all) I'll have spare from a build I'm currently planning if you'd like it.

Apophis54 likes this.
  9. ninjaplease

ninjaplease I don't know what I'm doing

Quick question, what was the USB hub you chose?

10. legoman

thinner wood anyone?

[​IMG]

6mm instead of 15mm. Carrie thanks for the offer i didnt see your message till after id got the wood :(

Ninja, it was according to its case it was in its a Belkin F4U018-BLK Its not on the list of supported devices but shares the same chips as the other Belkin 7 port hub so works perfectly

11. Cheapskate

That should solve the bulk issue. Sorry about that, but it seemed more like a RP bomb shelter.

12. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

My recommendation is to work on your I/O solution first and then work your way out from there. I'm not sure what you have in mind but using thick wood that doesn't end up interfering with plugging stuff into the ports is very tricky business. Good luck.

13. legoman

Not a problem cheaps, it was all i had available. I may use the 15mm on the base but for now ive left the wood to straighten .
    Skip, already taken into account ;) i will simply make a hole for the HDMI as the boss will be anchored on the PCB rails the power in and RCA outs on the back usb on the front and switch on top or the front. II think ill have to do a rough/rubbish sketch of the layout will make more sense. Can't do anything right right now as im at work.

14. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

OK. From my experience, the Ethernet port will be your biggest issue. Allowing room to work the latch on the connector is the thing that seems to bite everyone the first time (including me). :wallbash: A piece of wood (or acrylic) with a perfectly cut square for the Ethernet port won't work.

15. whyte

whyte What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to this :thumb:

16. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

I can't wait to see your build. I've just gotten my RaspPi and I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to go with my build.

17. legoman

Thanks guys, ive hit a bit of a problem annoying problem in that the 6mm wood has decided to warp, not sure why its been laid down out of the light. Im trying slowly to re straighten it with some steaming but it slow work as im trying not to over wet the wood. To be honest its peeing me off royally i may resort to seeing if i can get some more 6mm wood and do it again if i dont get anywhere by the weekend.

slip, I decided against the Ethernet port mainly because i knew how hard it would be to make a suitable port for one. Also i have a diddy wifi dongle which will serve for the networking functions for now.

18. HybridCore

HybridCore What's a Dremel?

First time I've seen a Pi case that's not built out of legos.

19. legoman

finally got some time to my self so thought id make some shorter cables.

This was a 1.8M Micro USB lead

[​IMG]

spiral wraps there to help hold it in place at the moment, i chopped out the data lines as this is just going to power the Pi

Also did some terrible braiding for the audio cable, dont worry i put labels on the ends :)

[​IMG]

Sorry about the quality im using the phone

Last edited: 11 Jul 2012
  20. Cheapskate

Wet lumber will warp if still wet and placed on a flat surface. The side on the ground can't dry, so the side facing up shrinks faster.
    I'd store it clamped inside the bits of bigger lumber for a while.