1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung announces ultra-fast 960 Pro, Evo M.2 NVMe SSDs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Sep 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

2TB in an M.2 form factor with NVMe performance... I think I'm in love. Sure the price will be silly, but in a couple years things will be low enough that primary storage can be just one of these beasts for many people.

I love just having one big SSD and a NAS setup, means no annoying program juggling.

3. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

I love my 950Pro M.2 512gb ssd. Yes it cost a load but I plan to be moving my pc into a dancase when/if they become available so not needing a 2.5 drive is a big thing for me.

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I still find the idea of spending £300 for only 512GB pretty offensive TBH.

Prices still need to at least halve before I'd consider spending that much for so little storage.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Does it really matter any more? Until we're at the point of non-volatile main memory, I'm biasing my SSD purcahsing decisions towards £/Capacity and not performance levels that are largely irrelevant.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Don't look at me; I'm still running a 120GB SSD rated at about 260MB/s.

7. Mister_Tad

Butbutbut... think of the "next step ... in the storage revolution" and all of the "new possibilities for consumers and business professionals" you're missing!

Next up we'll have Samsung claiming that an incremental change in the latest round of identikit smartphones will redefine what a phone can do, or something. Oh... nevermind.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2016
  8. Gareth Halfacree

Now there's the metric we should be using: possibilities/£!

9. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Handy for scratch use. If you're working with truly massive stuff (high res video I guess?) then it's cheaper to have drives like these on tap. Slower than RAM yes, but much faster than a SATA SSD.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Pfft... still running off spinning rust... a broken rust spinner at that... [though necessity rather than choice, granted...]

All hail the dizzying speeds of 16MB/s...

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'd rather see cheaper large-capacity SSDs than faster SSDs, personally. I think what we have now is "fast enough" for most home users, but still prohibitively expensive especially at larger capacities. 1TB or 2TB M.2 SSDs for half the current price would be nice, even if they're "slower" than this 960 Pro :)

12. Mister_Tad

We've already got 32TB SSDs (the royal "we" as opposed to any of us, I suspect), so it's less about technology and more about manufacturing at the moment, and reaching a price/TB that's acceptable to consumers.

Get me to a price I can feasibly replace ~30TB of spinny stuff in my house with a couple of 2.5" SSDs or a speed I can ditch system memory, then you're "creating new possibilities".

Anything in between is just an evolutionary step along the path. Don't we already have enough hyperbole in the world having just seen a new iPhone and iOS? Come on Samsung.

I demand to see this included as a metric (out of 10) in all future bit-tech reviews.

13. cdb

cdb No comment

14. davidj

davidj davidj

So, how do I clone my current samsung M.2 250GB to a new 512GB one?

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Use free drive clone software provided by manufacturer:
    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

Problem is of course with M.2 ssds you can't really connect both the old and new one at the same time as 99% of mainboards with M.2 slots only have one.

So you'll have to either use some random sata junk harddisk you have in a drawer somewhere as an intermediary, or get a pci-e - M.2 adapter like this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lycom-dt-120-m.2-pci-e-ssd-to-pci-e-adapter-card-hd-000-lm.html