1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows black screen after loading vista?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by nescafe, 25 Feb 2013.

1. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

Hiya all.. Well my misses went and opened her gob and told her friend i was good with PCs and now i have a laptop to sort out and i hate them.. Anyways here is the problem
    It boots up and gets past the green loading bar then i get a black screen with the cursor and thats it. Tried restoring to a previous point and guess what..Not restore point found... Tried the CTRL,AL,DELETE trick but no windows open at all... Tried to access msconfig from dos but says i dont have privlages.. I activated hidden administrator account through dos but still wont let me open msconfig...
    Typical user has not backed up any of her files so a complete re-install is out of the question... She has not made recovery discs either so can not recover.. HELPPPPP Please..........

Yours Nescafe(LAPTOP HATER) lol

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Have you done the usual checks first, i.e safe mode and memtest? If yes, the easiest solution:

Unplug hard drive from laptop and plug it into a PC
    Backup user's files
    Reinstall Windows along with drivers and basic programs (anti-virus, CCleaner, Open Office e.t.c)

This way saves a buttload of time trying various solutions found on the web. The only complication will be finding out the Windows key if the sticker on the bottom is faded.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

have you tried vga mode from the advanced boot menu

4. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

Tried booting in safe mode and same thing happens.. Tried booting in lower resolution and still the same.. Memory test and chkdisk and all ok.. When i get the back screen i can still see and move the cursor..

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

how long have you left it on that black screen?

6. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

left it on for an hour ..infact it is still on at the moment lol... and the hdd light has stopped flashing

7. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

Reload windows from the hidden partition

The installer might even have a repair options so she don't lose any data...what make and model laptop is it ?

BTW its not like it could be anymore broken than it already is lol

other peoples laptops I never mess about with its always quicker to reinstall windows from the hidden partition than to work out the issue lol

8. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

its a compaq 961..
    How do i re-install from partition?

9. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

From the Compaq site:

Don't know if it'll affect the user's files or not though.

10. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

it should give options for non destructive recovery and a destructive recovery
    once you get into the menu

personally I always do a destructive one . (ALL USER DATA IS LOST along with malware lol)

11. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

Ok i have got into the recovery menu and its said i can back up user files.. It scans all files to see what to save and then says insert usb drive... I have tried 2 usb sticks and its not reconising them... Never bloody simple is it lol

12. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

try putting the usb sticks in before you enter the recovery software or go into the BIOS first and enable USB legacy mode

then try

13. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

ok seems as though 16gb wasnt big enough.. Now got it back up on to my 500gig external hdd..wish me luck..
    lol..will let you know how i get on

Tags: