1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Advice Needed: New router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leveller, 22 Nov 2010.

1. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I've just spent 10 minutes watching the lights on my Netgear DG834N flash like a xmas tree. And it shouldn't be doing that. It's time to replace it. I had a steely gaze, my heart sank, my sweat glands opened and while I watched the lights they switched off, then on, then negotiating with ADSL, then blinking network lights, then off ... and repeat. And repeat. etc. To say I had a look of horror would be an under-statement. Recently I had a week and a half of no telephone line but managed to cope because the ADSL was still coming through albeit at the worst speed ever. This week, with the prospect of possibly getting cut off from 'teh internets' and not having a backup plan in place, I am literally sweating. I even went into the garage hunting for the old green USB skate modem, but alas, no drivers.

Anyway, before I get cut off again, when I replace something I generally try to upgrade at the same time. So does anyone know what the very best router is on the market?

2. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

what do you mean by 'the very best'? Ease of use, number of features, range of wifi, etc? Does it have to be gigabit or will 10/100 do? Just a few thoughts..