1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant ARGH!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Burnout21, 12 Nov 2012.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Seriously need to blow off some steam right now, as some C**TS can't do their job and it's very important I keep calm.

Back story:

NOW the rant:

I am seriously still pissed, I've written and re-written this 3 times now over the last hour and I still want to punch something to death.

You might say just chill its only a week, but what if your pay role department decided to take any extra week to do its job, you would be fuming.

2. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

That sucks i would hold yourself for the week

Im not completely understanding your situation but if it comes back critical and complete tosh

Review their design brief or whatever criteria you were given to create the project, don't be offensive or disrespectful just be clear on why you may or may have slipped up in their eyes.
    if you gathered your task was to show your technical ability and not your design ability, tell them that, clearly it was'nt outlined enough.

"with a POST STICK NOTE of a design spec. (laughable)"

Shows clear lack of planning and structure to their company, if i was being interviewed for the position i probebly would have questioned why it was in that condition (even if it was a simple joke manner), i would'nt be suprised if most of their design work is done by scribbles on a notepad handed to the designer seeming it takes her 3 days!.

Sometimes companys want you to challenge ideas, again im not completely understanding your situation/ current employment so clearly your not going to risk any existing work.

Rather tired today so excuse poor punctuation, spelling and sentence structure.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If this what the vetting stage of the interview does to you, then I think this might not be the job for you.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Email 5 minutes ago (names subbed)

My reply

Now have a mixture of rage, sadness of no job and more rage with a sprinkling of relief that I'm not working for these useless CU*TS.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Designer and Engineer rarely will come together in one package. Its like trying to find an ambidextrous employee.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I always think of job applications/interviews as a two-way process. They try to find out of you are the right person for them; you are trying to find out of they are the right people for you. Obviously in this case they are not.

Don't waste any more mental energy on them. They are obviously lacking in professionalism and have a track record of two design engineers leaving them in short order. I think you may have dodged a bullet there. I also wonder if they are just using this opportunity to sollicit a bunch of free design ideas on an existing commission. Run. Just run.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I agree with Nexxo, plus, if you where hired (let's say), you would have most likely hate it, because everyone else in the company would think like they are now, and completely unprofessional at the inside, and probably you would have this huge communication problem at the inside, as nothing is done as it should, including defining properly requirements on documents, and not on a single sheet of toilet paper like you had.

Also, you have to remember something:
    When a position opens somewhere in a company the law forces the company to announce it to give a chance for an outsider to come in. However, the company doesn't want to do this, as they already have someone at the inside which is really enthusiasts in taking that position, and they don't want to spend several months training someone new, which can also mean down time. So, they basically find any excuse to not hire you. It's a cheap trick to go around the law.

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Curts? Custs? Cufts? Come on, throw us a bone here :D

As you've said, it sounds like they're a useless bunch of c***s anyway.

9. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Burnout. Drop me a PM.
    & remeber the saying . The client is always right, unless of course they are wrong, then they are just cu**s

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

As a Product Designer with a BSc we are meant to bridge this divide, and we do it well.

I've been brewing over this, and I have to agree. The owner of the company/manager is 78 years old without a care and is a raciest bigot to quote him "You living in Cambridgeshire, hmm they've got a lot of blacks, don't like them..."

Not sure we have that law in the UK...

Unprofessional barely describes it

Client is always right, and Product "X" is architectural so its influenced by its surroundings. I've bit my tongue in the past as to the clients "taste" but they wish to pay for what they want and its not my job to argue against. Paint it Pink for all I care, as long as it's on budget and functions I'm happy with that.

The forum may come out of hiding as I'm calm again. Its takes a lot to get me angry as anger never solves anything.

11. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Hey Burnout,

I know your pain, I did a BSc in Product Design. Sounds like the Oaf handling it was pretty much incapable of dealing with someone who might threaten her position.

12. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Ah ha if its architectural your going to get a lot disagreement over "design flare", in my experience you get two types of designers. A: the down to earth designer and B: the head in the clouds designer with a massive ego.

Good luck it's a tough market atm.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

She took a career move backwards in my eyes, google is a powerful tool if you have a name and the dumber they are the easier it is to find information. So before I even contacted the company I had a name.

Her portfolio online, just is woeful. Her technical drawings barely conform to BS 8888, and she got chance to take a placement with Antler, which makes me wonder why she isn't working for them.

I on the other hand have been fighting upward, 1st company was myself and a Doctor developing medical devices until he hit a wall when it comes to finance. The 2nd company again I loved but they stabbed me in the back and gave another designer the same project but he's based in NZ. So I walked away, the only lucky thing is the 2nd company helped me transition into freelancing and I've made some really good friends there, shame about the management.

Been freelancing since, only nobody wants a one man band with 2-3 years experience. Hence my on going job hunt.

One problem I've got is I've been a solo designer my whole design career, never in a team so I've seen the whole picture and taken all the heat if something goes tits up. Design Team's rarely she the whole picture.

14. asura

asura jack of all trades

Indeed... keep an eye on their output for the next couple of months, you may just find your design being produced. If so, and if you decide to fight it, good luck on that score - it can be an ugly, ugly road.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I've wasted too much energy on them already. The time I put into them at my hourly rate would have amounted to ~£1800