1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft 'clarifies' Xbox One Windows app compatibility

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Oct 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Hasn't it been said the Xbox One will run three distinct operating systems ?
    One for the games, the kernel of Windows 8 to power the apps, and another always-on to connect the two.

3. Bede

Bede Minimodder

It is not in Microsoft's interest to allow key PC applications to run on Xbox. If the Xbox could (for example) run Word and Internet Explorer there would be less need for households to maintain a traditional PC, leading to lower Windows license sales.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well we know from pictures of the Xbox One's dashboard that it will run Skype and IE.
    Maybe running Word would be a stretch without a keyboard :)

5. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

*Ahem.*

The original Xbox uses a Pentium 3 processor. With a little modification, it can run Windows 98.

So..... :?

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I know. I've got one sat to my right as I type this. Which is why I said 'the most,' not 'the first.' The Xbox One is considerably more PC-like than the original Xbox: its processor instruction set is less customised, its graphics hardware more traditional, its USB ports are actually USB ports, and its operating system - from what has been revealed so far - is more heavily Windows-based and has PC-like features, including applications such as Internet Explorer and Skype, that did not appear on the original.

7. joplin66

joplin66 What's a Dremel?