1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Enermax Ostrog - CES build - Finished - Final pics 12-28-2012

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BOBDBONE, 11 Nov 2012.

1. BOBDBONE

BOBDBONE Owner at BS Mods

Hi guys-

I am in the midst of a nice build for Enermax again. This will be showcased in their booth at CES this coming year.

For starters, this is an amazing case that retails for around $50! It's a hell of a great deal.

They come black or white with a choice of different color trim rings in the front.

The plans for this case are -

Stripped to bare metal
    Cut window a little bit bigger and do a flush mount.
    Remove red trim ring and make a custom lighted acrylic piece to go in it's place.
    Custom crazy paint job of course! Red with white accents (more on this later).

The hardware is mostly sponsored. (more on that later)

Enermax has sponsored the build and provided the case, power supply, cpu cooler, and a box full of fans!
    Please support them as they are very good to modders/gamers - http://www.enermaxusa.com/

Ok I know everyone just wants pics so here is a start -

Here is the shipment of goods to get me rolling

[​IMG]

The case out of the box

[​IMG]

Another front shot. It shows the trim ring. I have something really cool planned for this.......

[​IMG]

And after a little time in the shop I got it torn down, window cut, and ready for stripping. Then comes the fun part.... fresh paint!

[​IMG]

Again, I would really like to thank Enermax for being so great to work with. They are a great bunch of people.

Stay tuned.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2012
  2. krussellusaf

krussellusaf What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to seeing more. Subbed.

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Subbed :)
    $50 Bargain :rock:

4. Ra6

Ra6 What's a Dremel?

That's a great case with lots of possibilities! Looking forward to see MOAR! ;)

5. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Well, you couldn't make it look any worse (Looks like a Silverstone FT02 without the top cover)

Should be an interesting project. good luck.

6. BOBDBONE

Well I was happy to be home today so I could sign for this package -

From my AMD sponsor - 7950 X 2

Thank you to AMD for supporting me, but more importantly, supporting the modding/gaming industry. 8)

Please remember to support them back . . http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

[​IMG]

Sooooo pretty! Too bad I'm going to take them apart and paint them.

Speaking of paint.

I'll show you the concept for this paint job now since it will be a little while before it's done. I have a little more stripping to do and then I'll get started.

Since this is for CES it has to get a lot of attention so it has to be wild. The brighter the better and obviously some craziness will help.

I totally suck at Photoshop and Gimp, etc. so this is not exactly a beautiful representation but I think you'll easily get the idea...

[​IMG]

So it will be super bright red, high gloss, and on the right side panel I will put a nice Ostrog logo in the middle. The inside will be the solid red with white fans and accents here and there.

Should get some attention eh?

:cooldude:

Last edited: 15 Nov 2012
  7. BOBDBONE

I am doing white paracord sleaving on the cables so I did the 8 pin tonight to see how well the white color hides the color of the wire underneath. As I suspected, you can see a little bit of the wire color show through but it's not real bad so I think I'll be ok. The camera picks it up a little.

I'm doing all my paracord with no shrink tube these days for a lot cleaner look. There is a trick to getting it just right and it does wear on your fingers but it's worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just about ready for primer on all the metal panels and now I am sanding the plastics down. This not the fun part. Soon it will take shape....

8. BOBDBONE

I ended up changing to red for the paracord. Finished up the whole psu. It takes a loooonnnggg time getting these perfect with no shrink tube. But it looks so nice.

[​IMG]

I am going in so many directions right now. But I am making progress. I have the case primed and ready to continue with paint but I ended up with a little dirt in my primer coat so I think I'll be stripping it back off. I did a thorough scrubbing of the paint booth so it doesn't happen again! :evil:

I should have some paint pics up by the end of this weekend.

9. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

nice! looking forward to that "crazy painting" :D

10. BOBDBONE

Well, then here you go........

Finished up with the paint. I will still be sanding a few little specks of dirt and a couple bugs out of my clear. But it's looking pretty good.

I was able to knock most of the hard tape lines down and then plastered everything with a ton of clear coat to help hide the edges.

Speaking of bugs, this little ******* decided to jump on my second coat and wiggle through it before flipping over and croaking. You can see his trail of where he crawled. :evil: It's ok. Let it dry and it will buff right off.

[​IMG]

PSU shell in clear..

[​IMG]

The top piece finished. I added some white highlights here and there so it's more than just a bunch of stripes.

[​IMG]

This pic shows the reason why I blended the red back into the stripes in this area. I thought it might look odd if the lines ran all the way through the lettering so I faded it out so the name would pop.

[​IMG]

And after 3 good coats of clear...

[​IMG]

You might think the name is not centered but it will be when the case is reassembled.

I also did the same thing for the front bezel.

[​IMG]

It will sit all night and then it's ready for handling.

11. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

Looks awesome, was a good idea to fade the lines for the logos.

12. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

evh???

13. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

The faded lines look awesome against the red :) great choice!

14. BOBDBONE

Thanks guys.
    @jamsand - not exactly but close I guess. His guitar was different widths and black stripes too.

I'll have more pics up soon.

15. Dmlindley

Dmlindley What's a Dremel?

Very nice look with the white and red! Looking forward to seeing what you put inside the case!

16. BOBDBONE

Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm slammed doing mods and I do have a day job...

I brought the white lines in a little closer to the logo's. They seemed a little too far away. It was a lot of extra air brushing but I like the way it came out better.

Here is a pic of it assembled with fresh clear coat.

[​IMG]

I'm working on hardware install right now and should have another update soon.

17. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

wowzers, niiice :D!

18. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

awsome paintjob dude !

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yeah sweet paint job, just need some shots that show it off better because I know that's a real nice paint job, perfect even. :)

20. FatPandas

FatPandas What's a Dremel?

Your paint job reminds me of Van Halens album cover, the best of both worlds.
    Nice paint work man, look forward to seeing some gear in there.