1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Is there a way to block games on FaceBook

Discussion in 'Software' started by Behemoth, 4 Feb 2015.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I'm not talking about blocking requests from people, I mean is there a way I can actually make games on FaceBook stop working by doing something on my router ?

I'm talking about Candy Crush saga and the like.

Getting seriously sick of my Mrs spending all day on them when I'm at work doing a full time week, there are other reasons why I want her off them too. I've tried telling her they introduce all kinds of malware on to her laptop, thus compromising the security of it and my network.

I know why she spends all day on them, and I could go into great detail about it, but thats for another thread in general rather than here.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Don't have a Facebook account?

3. Behemoth

Apart from that lol

4. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

If the games themselves (i.e. if they are flash, the flash files) are located on someone elses server you could maybe put the url in the routers block list if its has one.

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Uninstall Flash and then set adobe.com to 127.0.0.1 in HOST's file? :D :D

6. Behemoth

Liking the idea of blocking in the hosts file.

7. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Then he gets told to fix it.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

fix = nookie

I see where this is going...

:baby:

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Has your ISP got any parental controls, I'm with TalkTalk (blurgh) and I can shut certain things down and set time limits for use.

10. Behemoth

I'm on Plus Net, yes I could block certain things but I don't think doing it that way would block anything.

11. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

This is all a bit underhand.

Talk to your wife/partner. Really.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but in my experience you're better off talking about it.

If not possible, hide the laptop charger. Only underhand if she can't find it.

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/block-facebook-games-network/

The best way to do this technically is to block whatever communications are required for the games to work. If you run no script it can help isolate the required website (if its not facebook itself) which you could block through the hostfile or on your router. Be warned if you block something like googleapis that will have knock on effects to other sites. Its best to try it on yourself first and make sure you haven't blocked something that's required for other sites.

Although I agree with the others its probably best not to treat your wife like a grounded teenager.

13. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Jesus dude. That does not read well, I hope I have misunderstood. If we have reverted back a 100 or more years then why not just bend her over your knee, threaten the work house or transportation to the colonies? It is obvious some kind of underlying issue exists that may require addressing otherwise the details would never have been alluded to in the first place.

While the technical savy to censor portions of internets exists, why an individual should wish to exert this power over any other rational adult (other than in the workplace or to stop illegal activity, little else) is beyond me and feels wrong. If it is a question of unhealthy addiction or some other debilitating issue I would feel comfortable doing it only having spoken about it in advance and having come to a mutual agreement to take the action suggested or otherwise get help.

14. Behemoth

The very reason I wanted them blocked is because she's recovering from sever depression, and whilst these games are designed as a bit of fun, when she gets on them nothing else and nobody else exists.

I didn't mind too much to begin with but when I've come home from work, done a full days work and all thats been done all day is sat on her rear end playing stupid games on Facebook.

Anyway the problem has kind of resolved it self for the time being. Her PayPal account got hacked via Facebook and we've both deleted our accounts now.

I wasn't trying to control her, just help her and get her motivated in doing the things she wants to do she's so very intelligent and so very creative it really is a crying shame to see all that talent goto waste playing candy crush saga, or whatever other saga games there are.

I got rather wound up by it the other week too when I happened to be home, on a day off work holiday so I could spend some time at home and get some jobs done around the house that she wanted to do. So when I was about to start I was asked politely if I could stay with her as she wanted my company.

To be honest I was quite happy to be with her but when she dragged the laptop out and fired up Facebook and whatever saga game she wanted and then ignored me for the rest of the day I was kinda put out to be fair - I even tried to make conversation and half the time I was ignored.

So yeah if my reasons do seem a bit extreme I do see why you made that post mate, I'm really just looking out for her best interests at the end of the day I have spoken to her about it on a few occasions (nicely) but my concerns have always been brushed aside.

Bungletron likes this.
  15. silk186

silk186 Derp

try talking to her about slowly reducing her time as facebook is not needed to play these games. If you suddenly cut her off she might not react well.

16. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Sounds pretty rough dude, I sympathise for both of you and am relieved that this was not just a simple attempt at abusive control. It must be tiring for you, I am sorry it came to this.

Trying to motivate anyone with depression is often impossible, regardless of what steps are taken. I feel to motivate a person to help themselves also but this is very difficult here, like you said I guess you were at the end of your tether, which is understandable. The fact is blocking candy crush would not make the underlying issue go away, it is equally possible to find some other game to play or replace it with some other type of negative behaviour. Of course I have been known to session PC games, one of the main raison d'etres of this forum, it has been known to cause friction in the household, but it has been up to me to moderate my behaviour and I would have found banning intervention coming from someone else intolerable and a cause for resentment.

The NHS the way it is, it appears all they are often able to do is deal out cheap drugs that keep patients doped up but level. I would recommend learning about treatments like cognitive behavioural therapy, it is a talking therapy that teaches patients how to deal with and avoid destructive and anti-social behaviour through reasoning. If there is a treatment you think is really helpful really push her GP or whoever to get it done, in this cynical cuts climate it is the squeaky wheel gets the grease and f*ck everyone else.

A person cannot be strong indefinitely so make sure you take some time out for yourself if you can as well. I really hope she gets better and you both get back to a better place.

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

sometimes diversion therapy works, try to get her to join a group, check with mental health team, to see if there is a group that she could get involved in.

Nexxo may be able to chip in, as this is his area I think

18. Behemoth

I would never try to control her to be abusive, just not in my nature. I;m such a passive person and it takes a lot for me to really loose my temper, but we aren't talking about this.

Given that Facebook is now deactivated I have noted a change in what she uses the net for, she's looking at her craft stuff again on Pintrest, recipes of stuff she wants to cook etc which I have to say I am pleased about.

She made mention a day or so ago how she now doesn't actually miss Facebook at all which I was quite surprised to hear. I did notice her trying to play a Flash game and I said well ok this once I'll see if I can buy it for you on Steam or Origin. Think it was Alchemy or something, so I set her up an account and paid for the said game. Also got Theme Hospital for free too.

Looking to get her to play theme hospital as we can both have a laugh at that. Rather turn her against games it might be within my interest to get keen some of the ones that I play and use that as something we can do together might actually help.

I've got this coming week off work and we plan to get stuff done in the home so hopefully when things start looking good she may do more, I know she wants to its just getting her off her ass and doing it.

Thanks all so far for the supportive comments, it hasn't been an easy road but if there's one thing I got off my old man I'm one tenacious pain in the backside, I never give up on those I love.

19. dorian

dorian What's a Dremel?

jesus,that's really smth i feel annoyed about.thanks so much for the right question

20. law99

law99 Custom User Title

What gave you that impression?

:hehe:

As someone with depression, I also tend to focus on particular things far too obsessively, probably to escape. I've found if I can focus that obsession on productive activities I get a lot done. It's the initial channeling that is the hard part; once away it's hard to stop.