1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Guild Wars 2 Developer Interview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 27 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

I'm confused, page 3 is titled "Guild Wars 2 PvP" yet there is nothing about PvP in the article (on that page). :/

3. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Well if you are in interested in knowing more about the PvP in Guild Wars 2 you can see it on their website here:
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/pvp/

Overall a good article and good to see GW2 getting more publicity and I still remember the day the devs said they were starting work on GW2 and seems like it has been a long road indeed but one worth the wait I hope.

Making the transition from GW1 to GW2 will be a huge step but from everything I have read about the development process and the way GW2 has been approached it will be very hard not to be impressed.

4. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Definitely going to give this a try. I kinda like the PvP aspect in World of Warcraft (PvE is for wimp nolifers;-), only that I don't usually have the seemingly bucketloads of time required to gear my character competetively.

I read on another magazine that GW2 will have some pretty rad ideas about balancing players with different levels and gear while in PvP, so this'll definitely be interesting from my point of view. Basically this game should be about skill, not so much who has the time/patience to grind most.gear currency.

Also, the game not leeching from my bank account every month is a bonus, too.

5. Hg

Hg The game known as life

Im a huge fan of the Guildwars Franchise and still play Guildwars 1!
    Me and a mate went over to gamescom last year to be one of the first to get our hands on the playable demo and it was everything we could have wanted and more. i really cant wait to play this game and its about time people sit up and take note of Guildwars as it is a really good universe and GW2 will be a great game, it was just a shame that the first game didnt get much press or support but that's what you get when you launch a few months after WOW :p

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the thief looks like it'll be pretty popular.. like the assassin in the old gw

I'm going to play elementalist first.. the necro looks fun but cheesy with lich form.. the game you gotta admit been really dumbed down though from the original

and you notice how touchy they are on guru lately?

you can't even make fun of the devs anymore or you get banned.. like I was trying to mess with eric flannum a while back.. you know like give him the nickname 'flaccid' but it never stuck.. he looks like the cookie monster

7. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

I gotta say I quite like the sounds of what the guy is saying. Holding things back until the product is definitely finished, keeping things on a level where finance is required but gameplay and fun is more important, this sounds like a Good Thing.
    I'm looking forward to this and if I can nail down a decent internet connection in time, I shall certainly be purchasing this.
    Positive from me!
    :)

8. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Missed out on GW1 but will look at this though, but still waiting for a scifi MMO like GW/Wow

9. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

There is no reason why you can't still try GW1 as you can still get a good sense of the game with the Prophecies and Eye of the North as well as gain some achievements that can carry over from the Hall of Monuments in to GW2.

Afterall, as confirmed in the article a closed Beta is not due til later this year so GW2 is not likely to make a real showing til the end of the first quarter 2012, as much as I would love to see it by the end of this year.

10. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Ah ok, I will have a look online find out where the best price is. As I understand it you buy the game then that is all you have to pay out?

Kimbie

11. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Yes, that is correct,once you own a copy of the game it is 100% free to play. You should be able to pick up a copy of Prophecies and Eye of the North for no more than £15 for the pair.

If you want to try it out before laying out any cash, you can download the client and give it a go for free: http://guildwars.com/freetrial/

12. thehippoz

I would start with factions if your asian (some pretty cool environment art).. or else go with nightfall instead of prophecies

actually nightfall + eye of the north is what people who are looking should start with.. you get heros and access to the hall.. prophecies is cool for the older vets (and nostalgic) but is steeper on the learning curve

and the textures of the original don't hold up to today like the other expansions.. nightfall is fun if it's your first run in

13. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

+1

Ah yes, of course, had forgotten all about the getting early access to heroes, in which case I must stand corrected, Nightfall with EOTN.

...guess it's been a while since I have trodden on Kamadan soil either that or I have slipped away in to the realms of Nostalgia...

14. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Thank you Bit-Tech and Joe for the interview! It's hard to find good Guild Wars articles like this seeing as how GW was never an extremely popular MMO to boot.

So who is 50/50 in their HOM? =D

15. ModaRobby

If you are more involved with the storyline in games then start with Prophecies and move to Nightfall followed by Factions. That is how the story progresses. But other than that its completely your choice. =)

16. thehippoz

could get gwamm before gw2 is out.. but I just never finished scraping walls with textmod.. they said you can keep that title though

here's the calculator

http://hom.guildwars2.com/

my link to hom.. used to be a solo artist- solo'd bone dragon staffs, voltaic spears =] was a long time ago.. made my own builds- that's what loved about the game- there was tools to make you very unique.. if you thought about things you could usually figure out a way to solo anything in the game.. stuff was never on guru or pvx that's for sure

then they released 7 hero setups.. no skill involved in pve anymore- the pvp is good though.. everything is going that way.. comfort the lame make the money

http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=main&details=0WWAA8////D4z52AhgjEA8///CAAAAAAfOcoAAAAAAA

Last edited: 27 Sep 2011
  17. ModaRobby

I played for so long GWAMM just eventually came to me lol. Along with farming 55 stacks of winterday gifts this past christmas event X_X

tad2008 likes this.
  18. thehippoz

55 stacks.. heheh I did like 20 stacks one year.. and liked to farm for the xmas bear too.. never got him though.. always the guys who hop in seems for couple of runs that got it

19. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I had so much fun with the very first guild wars. Epic music, great graphics, fun areas to explore and the quests were pretty interesting. From what I've seen the new one has all of this and more. They already sold me on the game.

20. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Still a work in progress here, and tho I haven't made as much progress as thehippoz there is still some vain hope of it, lol

Here's my achievements so far:
    http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=main&details=hYJBAAYtAeDgoVogggHAAA0AAgIAAAAAVIMQAAAAAAA

I have a wiki page on the GW wiki and active and new players alike are welcome to add my main char in game as: Lady Elyssa and hope the peeps here at BT don't mind me sharing this.

Tags: Add Tags