1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running Temps on 8800GTX

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by cave_diver, 24 Aug 2011.

1. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

Hi guys,

I've got hold of a pair of 8800GTX's a few months ago so I'm happily crunching units on them.

When I first installed them, the first thing I did was Rivatuner the fans up to 100% to (attempt) to cool the card.

At full load the cards are sitting at around 75 degrees.

I know cooler is better, but how does 75 sound? Is it death in 5 more minutes, or is it an OK temp?

Cheers guys,
    Chris

2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Its not bad, not brilliant though. Will reduce their life a bit so I would try and lower them some more, can you install a side fan in the case at all? (Dremel it up if needed)

Also, can you put the lower card further down (if both on same board) so there is space between them?

As a rule of thumb cooler is betterer when folding. Unless you are specifically wanting to heat the house that is...

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

8800gtx cards are really really hot cards. I think those temps are about right. My friend used to water cool his and was lucky to get sub 65. So 75 on air is alright. You have to remember the 8800gtx is a 90nm process

4. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

My Inno3d 8800GTX (reference model cooler) runs at 73degrees with fan on about 75%. Running in a CMstacker case with side fans and a 1 slot gap between a GTX 275. If i turn the fan to 100% then the temp drops to 68 degrees, with an ambient temp around 25 degrees.

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

75 is about avarage for those cards, I ran mine 24/7 at those temps with no problems :)

6. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

Cheers for the feedback guys.

I think I'll try and get the GTX's under water - thankfully they are in two seperate machines in different corners of the house so the heating effect isn't too bad.

I must admit for water cooling I was expecting the GTX's to be lower than the 60's however ..

7. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

An update.

A friend gave me his Arctic Cooling cooler since he burned his 8800GTX out.... Installing it in my gaming rig and setting its fans to 100% has brought the temps down to a shockingly cold 55 degrees on average!

It creeps up to around 58/60 when its hot, but when the room is cool its sitting at 50.

Just need to get a new cooler for the other GTX now....

Is the 55's area significantly better than the 70 degrees, or should I be aiming to get below that?

8. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

55 is pretty damn impressive, you could aim lower if you really wanted to but I would be spending any cash to get lower than this lol.