1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Monitor Hinges / mount

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dylAndroid, 22 Sep 2014.

1. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

Howdy,

Does anyone have any general information or supplier suggestions for monitor hinges?

I want to build a new monitor mount, and will have some hinges/joints that do different things. Some joints will want to open until they're in position and stay there (like something from a bigger monitor mount). Meanwhile, I also need a hinge that allows the monitor panel to be easily hand adjusted to a position, and then keep that position (you know, what you normally think of monitor hinges doing).

All of this needs to be compact, so probably something similar to laptop hinges, but a bit beefier, so that it can handle a desktop monitor.

Thanks!

Edit:
    I have seen some places selling hinge parts, but there's generally a big lack of information, which is what I really need. For example:
    http://www.pchub.com/uph/category/291/LCD-Hinge.html

Last edited: 22 Sep 2014
  2. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

I don't think laptop friction hinges would hold a several pound monitor. Commercial arms usually use a gas strut to hold the main height adjustment arm in place. For tilt adjustment I'd look into either a heavy duty friction hinge or some sort of ball joint.

3. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Even something like this (clicky) most things with that weight of a monitor would be better off with a sleeve and pin than a small laptop hinge

by looks the one on Amazon is using bearings but is you was making just sleeve and pin

4. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

Thank you both. Yeah, I agree that laptop hinges would not suffice, for either part.

The positionable hinge, I'm probably going to either go with something like what these guys are offering for VESA, or, look into their "torque inserts," and fab something up that fits my design a little better. Anyone use torque inserts before?

For the other section, which needs a hinge that has both friction and a torque spring or equivalent, does anyone know any nice combo part suppliers? I don't need the friction for positioning for this part, just to keep the opening smooth and slow.