1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft bumps Watch_Dogs system requirements

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Oct 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I wonder about those recommended 8core specs. From memory the first games that recommended quad cores ran better on equivalently priced but faster dual cores. Will be interesting to see the benchmarks when the game is out.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Since when was a Q8400 better than a 6600? I thought the 6600 was the be all and end all of 775 quads apart from the silly "extreme x" edition things.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

AFAIK the Q8400 is a little better for gaming, not by much though.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

6gb ram minimum so they have just removed 90% of the pc market. Latest steam survey put most people below 5gb of ram.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Fine by me, we need to push on. The reason 90% of the population have less than 4GB of RAM is because up until now, no games have used more than 2!

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Call of duty Ghost is 6GB min too Source

8. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Wow it looks like gaming is finally going to X64 only.

9. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Definitely this! Up until now, games have (mostly) been targeting Xbox 360 and PS3, then (only sometimes) adding extra stuff for PCs. Consequently, low spec PCs are more than enough for games because even mid to lowish spec PC is more powerful than a PS3/360. Now dev are going to target PS4 and XBone and port to PCs, the base PC requirement is going to be higher...

Whilst it is a pain to have to upgrade, it has been a VERY long time since major upgrades have been needed due to the aforementioned PS3/360 dev target...

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I think the development target is still set at PSBore settings. It's only one PC game every five years or so that gets the blood pumping in our PC enthusiasts to upgrade.

Although it's welcome, it's still not enough.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Aren't the two consoles so similar as to make little difference (hardware wise) ?

12. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

If having all that RAM available makes a significant difference to a game, why haven't we seen it done before now?

Creative Assembly could have taken the PC-only Total War series 64-bit years ago, but Rome II is instead a 32-bit game that barely uses 1.5GB of RAM.

13. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

The Q8xxx (IIRC) and definitely the Q9xxx series chips had more cache and ran a bit cooler (45nm), but otherwise there's not much in it. The 12Mb cache on a Q9450 made for a bit of a performance jump.

--

As regards the need for 6Gb RAM, I'm with Parge here. It's not a bad thing - a bit of a shake-up might do us all the world of good :D

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Well at least something good can come out of consoles for a change for the PC gamer. Only been waiting almost a decade for x64 gaming to become the norm.

15. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Exactly but game developers still set their targets on those specs and not PC specs. I know the rule of thumb has to be the lowest common denominator of hardware but I just question why is it only every 5 years or so does a game slap us in the face and make us upgrade our PC's?

Wearing a business head it makes perfect sense to do it the current way, especially when you see Crysis was not the financial success through pirating, as well as hardware shortcomings than it deserved.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Because a continual upgrade cycle for each game would mean only a handful of people would bother, therefore no market to sell to, you said it your self, there needs to be a line in the sand at some point.

17. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

So this will become the new crysis benchmark type?

18. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Ill wait till the benchmarks come out and till about March if an upgrade is needed. It is about time things moved on but there's no need to jump the gun yet. AMD processors could be brilliant, multicore gaming could be poorly optimised. Who knows? By the same amount a highly clocked core2 or athlon dual are starting to struggle. How long have some of you been rocking them? They've had a good run thanks to consoles and hopefully current i7 and fx processors can enjoy a similar return for investment. My situation I could hunt for a new set of ddr2 ram and hold out another year. Would make for an interesting article but ultimately no point denying the ever approaching enevitable.

Now 6GB of ram does that allow for OS and background tasks or is that just for the game?