1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Paris homes get 2.5gb net connections

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 27 Jul 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I. Have. To. Move.

Mate of mine is gonna be living in Paris from next month :'(

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's silly but I want it!

So it's basically an upgraded version of the cable TV/Broadband Telewest and NTL supply.

Would mean you had alot of bandwidth for HD channels, I've heard theres a bit of problem with bandwidth with regular telecommunication so theres only room for a few HD channels.

4. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

And here i am stuck in the USA paying 50 a month for 4 mb..... im pissed. These speeds are insane, How are they keeping the price so low, government interaction?

5. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

There is no such thing as excessive bandwidth.

Essentially with this system, you could turn Paris into one Giant LAN.

Why oh Why must North America be so behind the times :(

Aggies

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I did the math yesterday when I read this on /. We pay about $150/mo for our internet, TV and phone (all in that package). Almost twice as much. And they have download speeds 625x faster, and upload about 2000x faster.

Damn. It.

7. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

That is some serious bandwidth right there. I could imagine similar trials may be held within the UK if this proves successful but most likley in select areas of london. Would this though, not put leased lines out of service? I would also guess that these connections will most likley be a pay per GB along with the regular rental instead of no limits.

Still only time will tell :thumb:

8. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Sweet, but Why Paris/France :waah:
    Why not germany? I need this, Jesus Christ...this world is so unfair!

9. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

But, isn't your download speed only as good as the other guys upload speed?

10. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

Due to the cost of upgrade us telcos an cable company don't have superspeed compition so there is no reason for them to rush upgrades along. they just operate at there pace. I see this as having a monthly cap or some strick terms to prevent redistrobution of the bandwithd or for the use of high bandwidth using servers

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

For illegal download sources like BitTorrent or eDonkey: yes.
    For (maybe) legal sources like FTP: yes, IF the server you're connected to is on a very bad connection. ;)

Alice DSL (www.Alice-DSL.de) install optical cables all over Hamburg right now to cover it with broadband. There's only one problem about it: the last 25 or so meters. Those last meters are being held by T-Com and are just plain copper cables so the maximum is like 25Mb/s...
    Dunno what it looks like in Paris but if they succeed it'll be awesome! I mean it's hard to find a server that's fast enough to fill your whole connection with data but you might easily connect to like 5-10 servers and get full upload speed for them while having enough capacity left for surfing. And damnit, 1.2Gb/s upload? I hope at least 1 or 2 of these french dudes use BitTorrent. :D
    Best result with BT this far is 497kB/s down... might easily get like 850kB/s with these dudes. :jawdrop:

12. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

not necessarily, since this is internet access and leased lines are usually more secure since they don't go out onto the public internet, but in their own private network between endpoints which is why large companies prefer them. but that is still damn fast. i wonder if they will put a cap on it :D i'm sorry you have reached your cap, you can not watch more tv until next month :D

13. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

France calculated that to fit fiber to every house it would cost the same as laying 300km of new highway or sommit like that, so they think they will do it.

also, this has major ramifications to countries around france (even england) as you can run fiber 500km with the correct kit quite easily so they could start selling their services to other countries.. yay if you live in dover :p

14. img

img Minimodder

but to have decent speeds the server will have to have hugh pipes that they are connected to

15. [1N0V471V]

[1N0V471V] What's a Dremel?

That's a lot of wookie pr0n.

16. blunty

blunty What's a Dremel?

Think of how quickly you could fill up your HD!

17. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

hmmm....very very over the top but i like it. even if you did have your home hooked up with gigabit stuff you'd still be limited by that equipment. unless of course people fancy sheeling out for fibre switches and dark fibre to run around their house (which would be very cool to have) ontop of the fact that as far as i know there are no PCI/PCI-E firbe cards soooo you'd be limited to 1Gbps to your computer no matter what.

other than than that all i have to say is, I WANT IT!!!! :D

EDIT: w00t! 2.5Gbps of pr0n *goes cross-eyed*

18. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

That's a scary thought! I'd be happier if it was possible to get ADSL in the UK without having to pay for line rental on a phone line that I don't want to use for making phone calls. Could be achieved tomorrow if BT were so inclined. :thumb:

19. mushky

mushky gimme snails

damn if i lived in paris i would probably be happy with 56k

the costs of the actual fibre is getting astoundingly low compared to copper anyway.

20. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Ummm, friends in Paris....

What we need now is REALLY powerful 2Gb/s WiMax equipment.

Tags: Add Tags