News Intel to demo SSD overclocking at IDF

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Aug 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Well I've overclocked everything else so count me in!

3. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Well the controller chips on the drives are ARM processors so could be overclocked. Would it be worth it though?

4. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

I was under the impression the next gen i7 Extreme CPU's were Ivy Bridge E based not Haswell?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So they are - my mistake. I'll fix that now, ta!

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Huh, I'd have thought the controller was tied in pretty tightly to the SATA clock.

7. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Hmm.

Interesting in theory, but I value my data integrity too much to potentially hose my SSD.

Beyond benchmarks, I see very niche appeal. SSDs are largely fast enough for desktop use, and enterprise would invest in gear with higher throughput, you'd think.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I have a feeling overclocking the drive's controller wouldn't make a very big impact, and I never heard of the storage chips operating on a frequency (though, I wouldn't be surprised if they were). If overclocking the controller was simply the solution to better performance this entire time, I'm sure somebody would have figured that out a long time ago. When you consider that the different brands containing different controllers overall perform very similarly to each other, I think the bottleneck is more likely the storage chips themselves or the SATA interface rather than the controller.

Besides, doesn't anybody find it a little weird that Intel is *encouraging* overclocking? It wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to trick people into gaining another 20MB/s so their drives die out quicker in order to get more sales. Or, perhaps it's just a way to give people a reason to pick intel over their competitors. If intel becomes the only one to offer overclocking, that gives them an advantage.

9. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I'm with you. I can't afford to keep extras around, so I don't have a machine that I can just blow up. Even more so, I wouldn't take the chance on blowing up my data, so count me out on this one.