1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards So annoyed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by polus, 7 Mar 2010.

1. polus

polus What's a Dremel?

So my motherboards (Abit IP35) USB has stopped working after only 2 years!

Does anyone know what timeframe the sale of goods act covers becuase its really awkard being 775 it means either buying old technology, or spending money I dont have to upgrade to the new socket...

I could really do without this right now.... :wallbash:

2. masterjonny

masterjonny What's a Dremel?

There's a poster up where I work on the sale of goods act and it's just a "reasonable time frame"

If a car engine breaks after 10,000 miles you would expect it replaced, but after say 60,000 you'd call it wear and tear.

At least that's what the colourful poster told me lmao :D

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

usb pci card :)

4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

If it isn't in warranty, go for a PCI-card (or a s/h motherboard), it's not worth buying more of anything s.775 related. I don't fancy your chances much for a SGA claim.

Is it all the headers and the sockets the don't work any more? Or just one or the other? Are you sure it's not a chipset driver issue of some sort?

5. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Seeing as abit no longer produce motherboards anymore (arent they officially bust?) i think you'd struggle to get it sorted, as Mrbungle says usb pci is the way to go.

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Has'nt Abit gone out of business now.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Aye, Abit stopped dealing with motherboards quite some time ago.

The obvious answer is that given by mrbungle, surely everyone has at least half a dozen of these hanging around from old kit somewhere?

No need to buy any new kit at all.

8. polus

polus What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the heads up re abit.

All USB has ceased functioning. I have a USB card so am using that at the moment but use the PC for work related activities so need 10+usb ports.

I now know what caused it. The printer brick power supply went bang, and the printer then decided to pass a huge transiant onto the USB and to the motherboard. I presume the SMD fuses didnt do jack (too slow) and passed on the transiant to the southbridge..booom I cant actually see any protection diodes /transiant suppressors on the mobo.

So thanks a bunch HP :grr: 1 dead motherboard, 2 servers now running fsck and a dead printer. I could probably repair the printer if it wasnt for the fact that I dont really have the time.

Speaking of being short on time, Im tempted just to upgrade. Ive got a Intel Quad Core Q6600 and 4GB DDR2 with a geforece 8800.

Q1, Is it worth it with the new i5, i7s. Are they a good step in performance?
    Q2, Do the new sockets have the same bolt pattern for the CPU cooler as I have an old coolermaster 201 and spent a while getting a cooler that fits...

Right, Im off to go and launch the printer through HP headquarters front window... ;)

Thanks.

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

The i5/i7 are great performers. The newer sockets dont have the same hole pattern as 775 but most if not all aftermarket coolers have brackets to fit the new hole patterns

10. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

So the printer PSU goes bang and you get angry with the Mobo maker???

The SMD fuses are there to protect against fire, not to protect the functionality of the board, chances are that they did blow and that's why the USB isn't working any more.

Moriquendi

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Well, I would never be one to stand in the way of upgrade temptation. I'm tempted to myself, I need a hard drive for a PC I'm doing for the GF so I may just have to use the one in my rig and get myself a SSD. :D

I haven't any experience of the i5/i7 as I'm still on Phenom II, but from what it looks like the i5 is a good bang for buck path, the i5-750 (is it?) seems good value.

May be worth checking out the enthusiast overclocker in the buyers guide section, seems a nice priced setup.

12. polus

polus What's a Dremel?

Calm down eh. I first thought it was the motherboard, then realised that the printer had caused it. Look at the order of the posts...

The SMD fuses are PPTC so dont blow, they are there for overcurrent protection and I have checked them, they are OK. I was simply commenting that I cant see any transient protection on the board...
    [​IMG]
    ..although it might be possible that theyre in the southbridge.

I could upgrade my HTPC with the bits out of my workstation and flog the remaining parts...hmm decision decisions ;)

Last edited: 7 Mar 2010
  13. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

An upgrade to i5 is definitely what I'd recommend. Depending upon the make and model of cooler, you can re-use almost everything apart from your motherboard (already broken) and the processor and CPU, both of which would sell well in our Marketplace section. Makes more sense than trying vainly to prolong the lifespan of a s.775 system IMO; the upgrade in power over a Q6600 would be quite significant given that that venerable processor is now beaten in some situations by Intel's most budget desktop processor, the i3 530. i7 would be an even more powerful boost, but would be correspondingly more expensive. Just roughly, and assuming that your PSU and GPU are up to the task, for i5, you will want to take a look here and here, and for i7, you will want to take a look here;

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 £160 / Core i7 860 £232 - The i5 750 will be absolutely fine, but you might also profit from the Hyperthreading of the i7 860 (though the i7 930 arguably represents better value in that situation).
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 £82 / GA-P55A-UD3R £128 - Both motherboards boast 10xUSB ports (two of the UD3R's are 'USB3.0') and 2x2.0 headers.
    RAM: Geil Value 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3 CL9 £85

- OR -

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 D0 £230
    Motherboard: Asus P6T £173 - Six USB2.0 ports and 3 headers; the included bits supply a single-slot/double port/double header plate.
    RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB 1600Mhz DDR3 CL8 £122

Total: i5 750/UD2 = £327, i7 860/UD3R = £445, i7 930/P6T = £525

What cooler d'you have? And what's your line of work on this computer?

Last edited: 7 Mar 2010
  14. polus

polus What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info PureSilver, it really helps!!!

The cooler is an Akasa EVO which fits perfectly and shoves the hot air straight out the back.
    http://www.frostytech.com/articleimages/200706/akasaAK922_pspc.jpg

I use it the development of software (sometimes quite large compilations, firmware simulations), electronics (CAD), and then general game playing, surfing. Occasionally I encode media and compress large amounts of data.

15. Bitemarks666

Bitemarks666 What's a Dremel?

just so everyone knows the sale of goods act is for manufacturer defects and could be for upto 6 years
    from the department of business innovation and skills website