1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other SKY+ HD A guide to show you how to replace your HDD.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 30 Jul 2011.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

My Sky+ HD box has been playing up for a while. Basically using Anytime/Planner or using Live pause, would result in my Sky box freezing.

So, like a BOSS, I decided to take it apart, to have a look inside (As you do). After taking it apart, I could see that it had a 3.5" HDD, so I thought to my self, I wonder if the box will still work with a bigger HDD in their.
    So as I had a spare Samsung F3 1TB HDD, I took the old 320GB Seagate Sh%t out, and popped in the new HDD, put it all back together, and then fired it up. Hay-presto it booted up very quick and has work like a charm since.

As I didn't take any pic's of this, I have borrowed someone else pictures, for those who would like to do the same.

Remove the screws on the rear of the box.
    [​IMG]

Remove the 6 screws on the underside and unclip the tabs
    [​IMG]

Slide off the case towards the front while gently wiggling it
    [​IMG]

Step 3

Remove the screw from the PSB and slide towards the front
    [​IMG]

Remove the screw from each side and release the clips
    [​IMG]

Remove the screws from the front panel and slide off to the right
    [​IMG]

Step 4

Remove the screws holding the hard drive in place
    [​IMG]

Lift the hard drive up and remove the cables
    [​IMG]

You now have the box and the hard drive seperated
    [​IMG]

The HDD seems to very from Sky boxes.
    [​IMG]

Step 5

Add your new hard drive and work backwards through steps 4-1 to put your box back together.

I hope this is helpful for you guys out their.

Cheers,

Simon.

M7ck likes this.
  2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Isn't software needed on the new hard disk befoe it works?r

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Nope. Just plugged it in and it worked.

I did think the same, wondering whether I had to image the original HDD onto the new one for it to work. But you don't. It just works...

4. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

For these sort of devices the software would normally be stored elsewhere, probably in flash.

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yep, that's right.:thumb:

6. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Do you think I could just pop a 2TB in mine with no problems? I think I might have either a 250GB or 320GB currently.

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

2TB might be pushing it, but it would be good to know, if it does work. 1TB works perfect.:thumb:

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you need one of the newer boxes for a 2TB drive, if you want to keep your recordings you can use copy+ for free for non commercial use. although i understand it may have issues with the new sky+HD software

9. SonnyJim

SonnyJim Minimodder

Thanks for this. I've been looking at doing this for a while now. Does this void the warranty at all? I heard it doesn't but I could be wrong.

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

There are no warranty stickers on the box when you take it apart. So it would be your word against their's.

Cheers,

Simon.

SonnyJim likes this.
  11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

True_Gamer, as the pics are not yours, you should link us to the Original site. Also the pictures are for Samsung Sky Box's, Thompson, Pace and Amstrad have different walkthroughs.

Secondly, Software is only needed if you want to transfer any data currently stored on the drive, so any recorded programs stored, you will need software.

Thirdly, From what i've read, the Firmware in the Sky+ HD box limits the use of anything larger than 1TB, Using the software from the above procedure makes a work around of this issue, but nothing is or was guaranteed with it if using anything more than 1TB. Although, having just read on:

Found in the Samsung Link.

Hope that helps answer a few questions.

Sam

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Thanks for the input and added links their Samkiller.
    Due to being on the road with my laptop and limiting 3G network, it's easier to link things and add more info when sat in front of a desktop, than typing this at a side of the road.

3lusive likes this.
  13. Soniclord

Soniclord What's a Dremel?

So have you tried using copy+ yourself? And if so did it work? The reason I'm asking is I have a lot of kids tv programs installed (stuff that keeps them quiet!) and want to keep them, and I'm considering upgrading the HDD to a 1TB Samsung F3 so am wanting to transfer the existing contents of the current Sky+ HD HDD over to the new Samsung one when I do it.

14. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Copy+ works fine. I did this for a friend a while back to swap upto a 500gb drive.

Banged both drives in a pc and just let the software do it's stuff.

I'm going to be doing it again soon as dad just got a replacement hd box so I'm gonna replace the hdd in the old one and go for sky multiroom.

15. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Sky have done a major software update from endian to darwin in the past 9 months, and a lot of people report copy + not working with darwin. Give it a try though you have nothing to lose.

16. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Ah, good to know... I've got loads of stuff on the existing box I want to keep. I had started to back some bits up with a capture device so I could pop them on my HDD until I get chance to watch em as the HDD in the older box is making some very 'i'm dying help me' type noises!

Don't supose anyone knows if you buy multiroom, any recordings on an existing box will play back once the multiroom card is paired with the box?

17. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Yes its fine I think. I bought a box of ebay paired my card and could see the recordings that were there although I never tried to actually watch them so can't guarantee it but I would say your ok

18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i have used copy+ but haven't tried it with darwin, which is why i mentioned it may have issues with new software.

19. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Me too, I didn't bother trying to copy my stuff onto darwin just figured I'd start over. I don't know who develops copy + buy I hope those guys can sort it out. massive kudos to then for making it free too

20. v8ninety

v8ninety What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info my consider doing this myself as we're always running short of space at the mo with lots of films to watch.

From memory I think the largest SKY +HD box you could get from sky was 1Tb so that is consistent with the other posters comments regarding the 1TB limit, I'm sure sky would not miss the chance to sell larger capacity boxes if they could.