1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V SB Audigy SPDIF output woes..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bassboi72, 2 Mar 2009.

1. bassboi72

bassboi72 My dremel is broken.

Hi guys.

I have my main PC hooked to my new 1080p lcd via dvi/hdmi on an 8600gt. that works fine.. however.

I also have a SB Audigy SB0900 sound card. It can output 5.1 analog, or spdif digital with a 3.5mm minijack connector ~> RCA plug. As far as I can understand, the Coaxial digital input on my reciever should be able to accept this signal, as dolby dts 96Khz or something and ultimately an RCA plug sort of connector. I've come to realize this by looking at the reciever's manual, as well as the Audigy manual, and it appears my connections are right, and it seems to be a software issue. I've tried all the available software options, but to no avail. I am using Vista 32.

Anyone?!
    Thanks in advance

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm not familiar with Creative's Vista driver, but there should be an option to enable S/PDIF passthrough somewhere in the settings.

3. bassboi72

i was pondering that last night... i didn't fully post what needed to be posted.

i am using the Vista driver... and all I get is Audio Console. The S/PDIF output is greyed out and set to "Default" but if it wasn't greyed out it'd be "SPDIF Bypass" or something else.

Now I dont know if I can only output a spdif signal sent to the sound card from something like a dvd-rom or bluray-rom, or I can use all the PC audio thru SPDIF.

Thanks for the help by the way!

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Thanks for the nice words, but I haven't really been able to help you at all. I can tell you something about *how* it would work *if* it worked.

You would be able to output a stereo signal "as is" in the form of a PCM signal. Any type of surround would have to be previously encoded, so surround sound in e.g. games would only be possible if the game would output either a Dolby Digital (AC3) or DTS stream. Otherwise you would need hardware or software to encode such a signal prior to sending it to S/PDIF.

bassboi72 likes this.
  5. bassboi72

i took the card out and took a closer look.

i see a 2 pin connector that says "CD_SPDIF". I'm now under the impression that if I were to use the digital audio output on, say, my dvd-rom drive, it would pass that thru the digital jack on my reciever, like what i'm trying to do. i'll be damned.

son of a bitch.

thanks bunches man

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm not sure you need to connect that connector. These days all data gets transported over the data cable (SATA/PATA). Many new drives haven't even got dedicated audio out connectors.

7. bassboi72

Ive tried all I could to get the SPDIF working... I really think it has something to do with the screwed up windows driver. This sound card comes from a gateway PC I bought back in 2001. OEM SB Audigy. I still have the driver disc, I'll try and use those drivers, and if not, I'll test it on WinXP..

I appreciate all the help!

Well, I installed some drivers by a dude named daniel k... a vista support driver package for the Audigy series.

I have yet to try the spdif output yet, but it seems promising. Although, when I set my media player classic to output spdif, it tells me:

Media Player Classic could not render some of the pins in the graph, you may not have the needed codecs or filters installed on the system.

the following pin(s) failed to find a connectable filter:
    Audio Switcher::Out

AVI<>AC3/DTS::XForm Out
    DTS Decoder::Out
    Audio Switcher::Out

Media Type 0:
    ------------------------
    Audio: PCM 48000Hz stereo 1536Kbps

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
    majortype: MEDIATYPE_Audio {arjhgqekr43tg numbers nad letters.
    etc etc.

I'm thinking it may be trying to output spdif, but not finding the actual connection because I don't have a spdif input source right now..

Last edited: 5 Mar 2009
  8. reksav

reksav What's a Dremel?

well op, ive been dealing with the exact same issue as you. i have an old audigy that i have been trying to use the spdif out of to head to my receiver for 5.1... i came across your post and while i was trying to figure this out i was watching and waiting for an answer here as well. i got it to work by uninstalling all codecs and reinstalling the combined community codec pack (not sure of the website but im sure a quick google would answer that). i opened up media player classic again and VOILA all works and all works well. maybe that pack would be of some help to you... good luck.