1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a watercooler yet but.........

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Kronos, 6 Jan 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Been thinking for a couple of years now to get into water cooling but been a bit hesitant in case I bugger up my kit because of leaks.

Been looking at perhaps getting a kit as a first step and have been looking here. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=962&catid=1532

I am looking to watercool my Parvum signature perhaps just the CPU to begin with then adding the GPY's later.

Any advice really appreciated

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Are you limited to a dual rad in that case and what thickness would fit? You wouldn't get brilliant temps with a dual rad with a CPU and GPU in the loop and not enough cooling for SLI GPUs as well as a CPU. Generally the more rad space you have the slower you can run your fans. Aim for 120mm of rad space for each watercooled component.

Check with me before you buy anything. I have spare 3/8"ID, 1/2"OD fittings you can have very cheaply although they may not necessarily match as there's different shades of nickel plating. I also have a spare Phobya pump that works fine but is 'buzzy' at full speed you can have for free. I have a XSPC RS240 Rad that you can also have cheaply.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Cheers Big Elf and yes I would be limited to a dual rad so happy enough to leave the GPUs on air. Thickness would not be an issue. But I think I really need to do a bit of Googling to have a look at other water cooled Parvums to get an idea of what is possible.

4. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

As Big Elf said, 1x120mm rad space per (major) component, plus I add 1 extra, 140's are better, consider doubling it for overclocking (there are other things to consider if overclocking too). Thicker radiators also increase cooling ability but need stronger fans.

For some reason I can't follow that link but kits can be a good place to start, I've never used them personally, I prefer to choose individual components and you can certainly get the help here to do that too.

I've never built into a parvum case, will it take a 240 in the front and another in the roof? If so that will do you for a CPU and a GPU (best to get all your radiators in first then just add the GPU block later when ready).
    I prefer push and pull fans but if you can only have one side use push. Thinner low fpi (fins per inch, fin density) require less fan effort and are therefore quieter. When choosing fans it's static pressure (and noise) that is most relevant.

A DDC or D5 should be all the pump you need. I like to use ones with a fan-plug rpm lead so I can set the bios to shut down incase of failure.

Size of reservoir isn't important so find a nice little pump-top-res. Then choose your tubing, best not tackle rigid running for a first build.

Unless a client requests otherwise I always use EK for water blocks, there are several good radiator manufacturers to choose from but I like EK and Alphacool personally. Mayhems coolant is excellent. Bitspower make great kit, particularly their range of fittings but I also use EK a lot, alphacool fittings are very 'budget' but I've rarely had problems. XSPC are also worth considering fit a good range of good parts.

Remember to have a quick and easy way to drain when you're first filling Incase if leaks and only power the pump preferable from an external source so no damage will be done if there is a leak. If it doesn't leak in 10 minutes it's probably not going to but I leak test overnight before the system gets any power.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited: 6 Jan 2015