1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by LeeH, 25 Aug 2015.

1. LeeH

LeeH What's a Dremel?

So after using MCT-5 coolant for 10 years I did a bit of research and most people were recommending distilled water and biocide and or silver coils, I read numerous threads about how people had been using distilled water silver coil and just a coloured dye...
    So as I had not cleaned my system in a long time and most of the loop part had been on three gaming rigs I thought I should clean it and change the fluid...
    So I drained the MCT-5 coolant and stripped the rads and water blocks down to find them spotless...
    So against my better judgement I rebuild the loop and used distilled water two silver coils and mayhems dye....
    At first there seemed to be marked improvement in CPU temps close on 20d allowing me to run my I5-3570k all day at 5ghz with temps in the the low 70s, although I had put this down to the coolant rate doubling and changing the rad layout to run through two rads before the CPU as the coolant temps were only 1-2d lower..Anyway.
    But now the water has gone cloudy there appears to be corrosion in the reservoir after just two months
    which is a nightmare when everyone seemed to recommend distilled water...
    I been in the motor trade for long time and seen many stripped engine that have had polyglycol antifreeze being spotless inside so I might clean the system and put some of that in see how that goes....
    I would go back to MCT-5 but i've skipped it so my question is has anyone else had problems with distilled water?
    Thanks
    Ps I could of probably made that story much shorter sorry.

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

A number of people, including myself, have had flaking problems with nickel using silver in the loop but there's other things that can cause the water (or the tubing) to go cloudy including plasticiser. If you're using aluminium in the loop then even though it will be anodised a pinprick in that anodising will likely cause corrosion. Is your res made from aluminium?

I use ethylene glycol as the corrosion inhibitor (and pump lubricant) in my loops together with Benzalkonium Chloride as a biocide. Copper Sulphate has also been suspected of causing problems if nickel is in the loop.

Ethylene Glycol sold for use in watercooling loops is normally pricey but I bought 5 litres from Mistral Labs which will probably last me out. They do sell smaller quantities.

Edit: Just realised you're probably in the US so that link to Mistral Labs won't be much help.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2015
  3. LeeH

LeeH What's a Dremel?

Yes mate it is a aluminium cylinder reservoir that's were a lot of the corrosion is coming from its also struggling not to reintroduce air bubbles back into the system as the inlet and outlet are so close together and the flow rate of distilled over MCT-5 has doubled which can only stop by slowing my D5 pump down...
    So I was thinking of getting a Primo Chill 240mm CTR Reservoir phase II for when I change the fluid, then there will only be copper in the system...
    I'm in the UK and a quick search of eBay for Benzalkonium Chloride and Ethylene Glycol returns plenty of results but I will shop around...
    So you don't think Ethylene Glycol on its own is not good enough?
    Thanks again...

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Be careful of the Benzalkonium Chloride from eBay as some contain a dye although it probably wouldn't be noticeable due to the small quantity.

I've never tried Ethylene Glycol on it's own but it's supposed to have biocidal properties so should work. I use about 50ml per litre of distilled water.

Inspect the internals of your copper blocks and fittings, the corrosion caused by the aluminium might well be inside them.

5. LeeH

LeeH What's a Dremel?

nice one thanks for the help!