1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Project logs rules

Discussion in 'General' started by B NEGATIVE, 4 Nov 2015.

1. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

It was never going to be vapour,this is quite plain to see.

Perhaps you could be more descriptive in the ToS regarding the confusion we have here,you had more than one user reading it the same way.

"2. Your first post must be a work in progress, not just a heap of parts and some rough sketches. The general idea here is to maintain the high quality content we’re all used to."

This seems pretty clear to me but it seems I read it wrong.
    However,you didnt write this....is there another set of guidelines we are missing here?

Thanks for the clarification either way. :thumb:

Last edited: 4 Nov 2015
  2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I've moved this here to allow Imersa to continue with his thread in peace.

I did write that. If you look at the bottom of the post it says

The previous rules regarding projects logs being moved to modding required the mods to continually move posts back and forward between PL and Modding, and weren't clear at all to new users. Therefore, that part of the rule has been removed. However, we DO want to maintain the high quality of submissions Bit Tech is known for, so that rule is to dissuade any tom, dick or harry from uploading pictures made during a ciggie break in Paint from posting low effort, low quality content. The second line clarifies this: ie: use your head - does your post fall into the above category?

3. B NEGATIVE

When you edit forum guidelines without notification then expect people to follow the guidelines they previously saw.

Now,you saw yourself that multiple people posted the same thing. Therefore,by process of elimination,you can deduce that no one saw your changes.
    They still lack clarification and are vague,they do not refute the previous guidelines,they have only made it murkier.

4. Parge

If people are going to play forum police then they need to regularly check the rules! The mods know of the change, and any new users should read them before submitting their log.

They are deliberately vague - mods and users alike are not here to pick and choose who is and who isn't worthy of a post in the project logs section. We want people to use their heads, and at the same time strike a balance between putting off lazy, low quality content, and not discouraging submissions.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

As the guy who wrote the previous rules (;)) I must point out that they were written in part to avoid people posting heaps of pretty pictures of parts. Because they may be tasteful and skilfully photographed with a lot of care and attention, but they are still pictures of parts --and not of modding.

And the more vague the rules, the more people will differ in their interpretation. That can lead to disagreements that I'm glad I don't have to de-escalate anymore... :D

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

But if you make the rules vague enough everybody's interpretation will be correct, thus avoiding disagreements and the need to de-escalate :worried:

Sure make's it easier to avoid telling a large company they are abusing the rules ;)

7. uerseya

uerseya Covered in rock wool

Ditto .... if I want to see product pictures I'll go the manufacturer's website .... RTFR ffs :rolleyes:

I like your cases and your build logs, but all in all not so much with this one and possibly some of your more recent one's, yes big up your sponsors, maybe 3 pictures of their **** each, but dozens of pic's of the same thing ???

That's why there's no actual build progress, you're too busy fannying around with your camera :wallbash:

I don't often post so to make me post something in your thread that should be praise but isn't says a lot :idea:

HTH

8. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

What ever; does it run Crysis at 4k?

9. B NEGATIVE

Exactly.

If you go back to that thread,people are STILL commenting in the same vein.....

Parge,if you took the time to read my post,it was agreeing with another users previous post,I didn't play 'forum police' as you so arrogantly put it.

Tighten the rule wording and make it clear....try not to alienate what little users we have left on the way maybe?

10. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

You guys are being anal about this. The Italian user did the same to me when I started with Opteron Prime. Even though I had already made other mods that showed I did extensive modding to systems. I'd like to think I did a LOT of modding in that project. The same goes to Parvum and JR23 imo. They have created multiple worklogs here and each and everyone one of them was about modding and creating custom parts in the end.

99% of all Caselabs projects have nothing to do with modding what-so-ever. They are just watercooled builds. I don't see anyone posting the same replies there. Why?

If this was the first post of a new member I could understand it. But you all know how this is going to end up. And modding will follow. So please don't be that person.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  12. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

13. B NEGATIVE

Thats how I saw it tbh.

The funny thing about all of this is I get on really well with the PARVUM guys,I speak to Justin almost daily and Im always doing bits for them as they do bits for me.

14. Parge

Are you referring to Parvum? Because two guys in a shed is not a large company.

This is the real question here!

Sounds like policing to me, but you are right, amagriva was the one that started this.

The mods are in the middle of two groups of people with differing opinions here, its a fine line, and inevitably not everyone is going to be entirely happy with what is decided.

If suddenly the quality dips, happy to change it. If so, we can have a discussion about how the new rule is worded.

Well, the above is a funny way to talk to someone you get on really well with.

15. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I'm just being ...well you know vague, actually I was speaking in general I'm not sure project logs is the correct place for any company to showboat their wares.

Although "Project Dark knightmare" by bmawn is nothing more than pretty pictures of stuff and no work in progress too

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=293462

I don't find these threads offensive would be great if they had their own section

Last edited: 6 Nov 2015
  16. B NEGATIVE

Justin is not JR...not that i dont get on with Joe either.

17. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Eh I must admit I find the in-progress rule annoying now too. Just because of the nature of my projects currently, I find that I almost can't post them here until they're basically done. I may have put hundreds of hours into the design stages and setup, but ultimately it's viewed with less interest than a hole in a piece of aluminium.

I've previously enforced the rules when there's honestly nothing there (you do get the occasional post like that), but I don't think it serves well to antagonize experienced modders with a proven record either.

18. Parge

Exactly, and that is why we 'modded' it (the karma button is on the left by the way...;))

As I mentioned to uerseya via PM, we try not to rule with an iron fist, and rely on users themselves to make a decision about whether their log fits within the rule guidelines. The reason we stepped into this particular thread is due to it being reported to us.

Obviously though, when we are asked to step in, we have to use our discretion to decide each individual case. In this particular case, the OP was a regular user, with a great history of logs under his belt, had already made some very impressive looking renders, and it was never in doubt that it was going to be a great log. I'd do exactly the same if someone commented on the Log of just about any of the people in this thread, as you are all experienced modders yourselves. If it was a brand new user with no ‘modding CV’, some super low effort scrawled ‘paint’ drawings and a few pictures, then yes, we’d have to be a bit less lenient.

It’s not about preferential treatment, or on the other side of the coin, about taking a hard line with every single infraction of the rules (man, if we banned every single person who broke the ‘no interest in price check threads’ rule.........) it’s about being able to distinguish the difference between above, and really, everyone here, should be able to do that.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

[​IMG]

:p

On a more serious note, and as a general rule, if I click on a project log and I'm greeted with 20-30 product shots and no modding, I don't subscribe to the log.

Throw up hundreds of photos of your modding efforts, and I'll likely peruse the lot, but not if it is prefaced by umpteen photos of the same graphics card and motherboard, fresh out of the packaging (and sometimes still in it ffs).

I get that sponsors will want you to showcase their products, they aren't in it for the charity, but excessive product photography is taking the piss. It's boring, it makes you look like a corporate shill, and it adds nothing to the project. In fact it's a turn-off, if anything.

I have nothing more to add.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That is true, but a nice design does not a realised project make. I went through twelve different designs before I settled on Ada. We can all (well, most of us) render nice concept drawings, but building one is a whole other level.

I'm nearly fifty years now, and have done many things. Made many choices along my meandering path through life. A few were foolish, a few were stupid. I have some regrets. But I can at least look myself in the eye with some self-respect and say:

• When I write a text or email, I use correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
    • When my mobile phone rings, it makes a goddamn ringing sound.
    • Whenever I start a project log, the first post shows actual work in progress.

:p