1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Anyone used ExPVR to copy Sky+ HD drives?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ModSquid, 23 Jan 2014.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Morning all!

I posted the below on the ExPVR forum in the hope that I might find an answer, but thought I'd post here as well in case any BT Crew have the experience I'm looking for:

I'm an old user of Copy+, which I used to take the 320GB disk out of my older (Pre-Darwin, I believe) Sky+ HD box and replace it with a 1TB. All worked fine, with the added benefit that I noticed of the previously reserved system space on the disk being freed up for personal storage.

I've now ordered a brand new 2TB box from Sky (no idea what model as it hasn't arrived yet) and my plan was to use ExPVR to copy the existing 1TB disk onto the new one and double the storage. However, from reading around on this forum, it seems that the new disk only has 1.5TB personal space and possibly also that as soon as I copy onto it and replace it in the machine, the box will section off the 0.5TB system reservation automatically giving me only a 50% increase

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I do - but as usual, I'm at work and don't have time to write a helpful post...

I did, however, help out Fingers66 with this very problem about two months ago!

You will, to the best of my understanding, only be 'allowed' the 1.5Tb of storage on the new disc.

Is it a Thomson box that you're upgrading from? If you're looking to shift it, please let me know!

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Cheers Jinq-sea (and sorry for delayed response).

You're absolutely right on your assessment - the developer of ExPVR confirmed back to me on his forum that you can copy over more than the 1.5TB, but you won't be able to record anything more until the box sees that you've gone below the 1.5TB upper limit.

I've cancelled my order with Sky (sorry - no box for sale now!) as I already have a full 1TB and I'm not paying for just the extra half. Will try to come up with another solution.

Incidentally, that ExPVR does allow you to watch your recordings on your mobile, as long as they're on free to air channels. That sounds pretty useful so I might check it out.

Tags: