1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Recommend me some Android games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pete J, 12 May 2014.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hi all,

I would like some recommendations for a few Android games to inaugurate my shiny new Xperia Z2. I have some vouchers for Google Play kicking around, so don't worry about whether they're free or not.

What I would like:

• Awesome graphics
    • Contrary to the above, I also have a penchant for old school scrolling shooters such as Tyrian 2000
    • Sci Fi based

What I don't want:

• Constant microtransactions (though a few are okay)
    • Fantasy based (although I did enjoy Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance on the PS2)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: 12 May 2014
  2. Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer Minimodder

The Bards Tale is REALLY good on Android, as well as being the top down 2004 ARPG it also has the 3 Apple originals on there.

If you like the original Baldurs Gate 1 & 2, IWD 1 & 2 and Planescape tournament you can get GemRB, this runs those games on Android. You do need the original assets though (from disc or GOG), you copy the various files to your phone memory / SD card and you can run them just fine.

You can also get UAE4Droid which is WinUAE Amiga Emulator for Android, you do need to source the Kickstart 1.3 file and a Kickstart 3 file to be able to run it. You use the Kick 3 for AGA only games and 1.3 for everything else. Doing this gives you a huge back catalog of great Amiga games that don't take up to much space on your phone memory. You will then be able to play games like Turrican which would be right up your street.

Pete J likes this.
  3. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Here's a quick list:

Bullet Hell Shooters

Other Sci-Fi Goodness

Finding decent games on android is a bit of a pain to be honest. I find that DroidGamers and Android Police
    Are both pretty decent for keeping tabs on new games that come out. There's also a pretty decent subreddit, /r/androidgaming for finding suggestions for games you may have missed.

Edit:

Forgot the following:

Last edited: 12 May 2014
    Pete J likes this.
  4. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Frozen Synapse on a tablet is pure joy!

Pete J likes this.
  5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Bloons TD5. Seriously.

It fulfils none of your criteria but you will lose days of your life playing it.

Days.

Pete J likes this.
  6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I really enjoyed Badland on my tablet - not sure if it'd lose some of its appeal on a phone but it certainly was fun :)

Pete J likes this.
  7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Cheers for all the replies so far - have rep all round.

@Retro_Gamer: The Bard's tale does look tempting. I did a little research on what you suggest and it appears you can get Fallout 1+2 to work on Android. I'll definitely have to check this out.

@Edwards: Thanks for the awesome list! Those bullet hell shooters are no-brainers for me. R-Type is too awesome. Galactic Phantasy Prelude is a definite yes (looks like X3). I'll buy XCOM just out of principle.

@scott_chegg: I never really got into Frozen Synapse on the PC but I think having it as a cool little game on my phone may actually make me play it!

@Shirty: I think flash games are responsible for me being a little later out of university than I should have been.

@GeorgeK: A little too quirky for me. For example, if you remember the Oddworld series, I never really liked them.

Has anyone got any recommended FPSs? A nice looking strategy game wouldn't go amiss (think Advance Wars).

8. Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer Minimodder

You can get DOSbox for Android, if you go down this route, kind of like the GemRB scenario I put above you will be able to play all the oldies like Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake & Hexen etc

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Flash games are like a cancer on society. Bloons is one of those games that just feels like touch was invented to serve it.

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I loved the oddworld series!

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Heh, well, I may not agree with your choice of game but I'll defend to the death your right to play it!

For the record, I bought and/or installed the following:

Anomaly Warzone
    Anomaly 2
    Dead Space (actually had this on the Playstation store but thought 'what the hell')
    Dead Trigger (will play the second once I've done the first)
    Galactic Phantasy Prelude
    NOVA 3
    Oil Rush
    R-Type 1+2
    Shadowgun
    XCOM

I did install OpenTyrian but the damn thing ran too fast. In the future I may have to look into getting the new Batman game as well.

I have to say, I'm amazed at the damn gaming power these devices have! NOVA 3 quite frankly looks incredible, as does Oil Rush.

12. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Playstation emulator ?

13. Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer Minimodder

Actually, how about Shadowrun Returns, great game on PC and controls for Android are supposed to be good with it being turn based when it comes to combat.

Rockstar have also released a few games on there like Max Payne, GTA Vice City & GTA 3

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Vice city is fun on tablet not sure if I'd play It on phone though. Max Payne is a similar story. They both look great though.

15. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

Totally addicted to Plague Inc. at the moment. Free on android, but £1.00 on Ios. Micro (and some not so micro) transactions in game but not necessary to enjoy the game. I have resisted so far.