1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD targets Atom microservers with Opteron X-Series

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 May 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

YAY AMD show them

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

"and, if they perform as well as claimed, it could certainly have come up with something to wipe the smirk off rival Intel's corporate face,"

Don't we get the exact same line with every AMD marketed release?

And what tends to happen again? oh yeah, it's all BS!

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Cooperations no longer bielieve in AMD so no longer buy from them, Theres a reason they are below 10% on the server market now behind ARM even.

It will also take alot more than 1 good product launch to correct AMDs issues in this market.

Packing them with Onboard GPU is smart as in the low end they maybe able to get there chips inside home servers and save people a gpu purchase as well assuming its good enough to handle the general needs of that user.

5. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

If GPU processing can be used in more server market applications then this could be a winner in the microserver segment. However its their marketing department and actual test result/benchmarks using real world software that will see this go up or crash down

6. Goty

Goty Minimodder

AMD's X-series processors also don't require an additional I/O chip, whereas the Atom chips do.

7. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Where does it say that the FPU is shared a-la-bulldozer?
    The L2 cache yes it is shared, but each core has it's own FPU I believe.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You're quite right - that was a misunderstanding on my part. I'll get that corrected, although as the CMS is still having a few hiccoughs it'll have to wait until the IT Elves have sorted things out I'm afraid - otherwise I risk making the whole darn article vanish!

EDIT: Phew: tested editing out on a never-published draft article, went fine, so I risked updating this article - and it's still there. Hoorah!