1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding changing psu's fan with an aftermaket

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Soul_analyzer, 11 Sep 2014.

1. Soul_analyzer

Soul_analyzer What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone, currently I am doing a case modding and I want to change my Psu's (Thermaltake toughpower 1000w) original fan [​IMG] with a bitfenix fan [​IMG]. Is this possible or will I have issues? I see the A=amber? Difference 0.70 A on the original psu's and 0.18 +_ 10 % on the bitfenix.

2. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

A = amps = current draw at the rated voltage.

If they're the same physical size, and have the same standard connectors, it might be worth a try. Can't tell you if it's safe or not.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Should be fine. The fan will only draw what it needs as far as I know.

4. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Yep is no problem and should work just fine :)

5. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

There are some concerns when replacing PSU fans. PSU fans are usually selected because they have very low starting voltages, like 3V or so. Many fans will only spin up around 5-7V, but I couldn't find any info about that replacement fan. Another issue I can see with that BitFenix is that it is only capable of roughly half the CFM of the original Yate Loon. Since most people rarely even use 50% of their PSU's capacity I'm not that concerned, but it is something to keep in mind since if you do actually ask it to supply 800W+ it may overheat and shut down depending on ambient temps.

6. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

I've done this a few times, never with that fan or that psu.
    Sometimes the fan is hard-wired so you may need to do some soldering.
    As shinji2k said you should pick a fan with similar or better airflow (a higher quality fan will probably achieve this quieter) and psu's that vary fan speeds should have a fan with a lie starting voltage, though you could argue that it will still start before any overheating occurs it's best practice to upgrade the fan and it's starting voltage is one facet to consider.

7. Soul_analyzer

Soul_analyzer What's a Dremel?

I did bought a new fan and I think it's quite good. The http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/92-fx-140lb-case-fan.html. But there some isues.
    The new NZXT fan has a 3 pin connector and the PSU has a 2 pin socket for the fan, so I need to cut the old fans cable and attach it to the new one. But I need to know how the wires are going to be attached, and there is no way opening the new fan, so I cant see where goes each wire. I am guessing it must be one + one - and one groung so if I attach only the + and - I'll be ok if I knew which is which. Another issue is the new NZXT fan has a speed switch (L-M-H) . I dont know cause i cant see if the speed swithes cables are attached to one of the wires I need to cut. Another method is to make a hole with my dremel to the side of the PSU and attach
    the 3 pin fan to a 3 pin socket but this way the 2pin socket of the PSU will be empty, will this cause a problem?
    Does anyone know how to open the fan so I can see the wiring inside it?

8. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

Your old fan will have +12v and -0v, same on your new fan plus signal, colours are usually Red Black, Yellow. If they are all the same colour on your new fan you can tell by the pins, Google will provide you with a wiring diagram (I'm on my phone so can't quickly look one up).

If your psu fan is temp controlled you can set your new fan to H, if not I'd try M but H is the safer bet.

It should cause no problem to run your fan from outside the psu, I've done that before, it MAY reuse to play if it thinks it's fan is broken but unlikely.

9. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Things like this have been standardized for many years. Match red to red and black to black and ignore the yellow rpm wire.

10. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

If the fan cable doesn't have colours, you can tell by looking at the fan connector:
    [​IMG]

On your PSU the red wire will be +12V and the black will be GND.

11. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

*edit doublepost