1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Intel NUC Case Design Competition 2014: The Finished Projects

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Combatus, 8 Jun 2015.

?

What's your favourite project? (multiple choice)

Poll closed 30 Jun 2015.
  1. Black Heart by Denis Shuvaev

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Flux by Femke Toele

66 vote(s)
    71.7%
  3. Hanging in the Balance by Chris Albee

17 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. miniNUC by Pavel Rafalovich

11 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. Moderne by Alex Banks

20 vote(s)
    21.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Tough choice, all really nice. :):clap:

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

And away we go! Interesting choices for some of the front page photos but regardless it's great to be able to see the finished articles now. As with the last one it was a lot of fun. Some trying moment here and there, but the results are definitely worth it. Not to mention we've got some really useful bits of kit now too, that NUC makes for a brilliant PLEX server downstairs.

4. FAT

FAT What's a Dremel?

Wow, so cool to see all those final pictures :clap: ! I was getting really curious! This contest has been really a lot of fun!
    Just like Maki Role said; "Some trying moment here and there, but the results are definitely worth it." ;) I agree completely!

And Thanks, jsr77 :D! Great to hear you like it!!

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Lovely builds. :D Been waiting for the final pics forever.

@Fat - How a guy photographs a thing vs. how a girl photographs a thing. :lol:

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The flux..... we need to get more laydeeees involved in case design!

7. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

These are a rather delightful selection - very different approaches both aesthetically and mechanically.

Voting's going to be tough - I love the idea of 'hanging' but the colours of the wood aren't to my personal taste. The engineering in Flux is impressive and well documented, but something about the simplicity of miniNUC is so appealing, then you have the understated Moderne and the wonderful ridculousness of the key to Black Heart... Argh! How to choose?

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Butt-powered case manufacture F T W!!!

Flux is a thing of beauty.

9. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

FYI mods, shouldn't the thread title said 2015 instead of 2014? :p

10. Sn3akr

Sn3akr What's a Dremel?

For me the choice was either Flux or Moderne. But with this being a modding competition i think Flux is the clear choice.
    Moderne project log reminded me of an assembly guide for a factory product. It was a printed drawing, bought windows, paint, fit a button. That's not modding in my mind, that having an idea and pay others to do it for you.

Flux had the best design while being true to the modders way, handmade parts and craftsmanship, and that's why it get's my vote :rock:

Awesome job Femke :thumb:

11. Maki role

Whilst I see where you're coming from, that's what I can do. I don't have access to a lathe, my own 3D printer, any number of jeweler's tools, racks of clamps and hand planes. I have a bedroom, a drill, a dremel and sandpaper.

Modding is not about simply being the one who uses the most stuff, that way people with access to said equipment would always win. It's about using what you have. What I have is the ability to make very detailed 3D models and contacts who can print them and cut them. If I could do that myself I would, but I can't and don't have those tools. Femke and Mosquito did have those tools, so they made use of them, and quite rightly so.

This holier than thou attitude that some people have towards some projects is frustrating beyond measure.

12. Mockingbird

I guess because the skill/imagination of making the models is so much harder to make a log from - there's much less in terms of interesting in-progress visuals, so while it's definitely a great skill and an interesting project, it doesn't necessarily lend itself to documenting in the same way as a manually-tooled build does.

13. Maki role

100% agree, there really isn't that much you can do about it either unfortunately. It's one of the things I was worried about with my log this time round. It's also less satisfying from the modder's perspective IMO. I think I mentioned a while back in Mosquito's log how I did envy that the project itself was pretty much entirely in his own hands. There's also a tonne of back end work that's both very boring to view (pictures of sanding and filling... eurgh) and very easy to take for granted.

14. PaddoSwam

PaddoSwam What's a Dremel?

Definitly Flux, the only one in my opinion that doesn't look like just a NUC in a different case.

Second best in my opinion miniNUC, but.. it could do better with a copper-like color making it a little more steampunk.

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Forgot to congratulate everyone. Essentially, you all won by getting in the comp. The rest is bunting and flag-waving. ;)

16. Mockingbird

Tru dat.

Also, we all won by not getting in, so we can observe the logs at leisure.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Needs brass. Brass = steampunk. And it is just a lovely material to work with.

18. F3nixMods

F3nixMods What's a Dremel?

Easy choice this time