1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Help - need to replace motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John55, 31 Jan 2017.

1. John55

John55 What's a Dremel?

Hello there.

My motherboard recently broke down. So a need a replacement. First of all I just have a basic knowledge of HW. So I'm not into details when it comes down to chipset compatibility and performance tweaks. So please bear that in mind.

I'm using the PC mainly for photo/some basic video editing and some occasional gaming. As a CPU I own an i5-6400. The old motherboard was an ASUS Z170 and I was really content with it. I tried to find some new ones for sale online (https://www.easyprices.com/f/Home/Result?searchWord=motherboard), but it is not that easy. In fact it's pretty confusing. So I think about buying the same one again. Even for the Z170 are a bunch of different models from different manufacturer available.

So my question is, it is advisable to get the same AUSU again or are there nowadays newer, better alternatives? I know the CPU is not the latest one as well. So in the future I may get a new CPU as well. But for the time being I can't afford it.
    I don't want to get a replacement right now and if I get a new CPU I need to buy a second board. So is there something I have to consider?

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

John.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2017
  2. John55

John55 What's a Dremel?

Al right. Unless nobody can give me and advice, I'll again go for the Z170.

3. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Wait, you say an Asus z170, that's fairly new I think Asus offer 3 year warranties. Might be worth checking that out before you stump up for a new one?