1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other LED Lighting 'Controller'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 8 Feb 2017.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'm looking for a way to control the two LED lighting strips in my PC which both run off a molex connector. I like having them on but am finding the odd occasion when I want them off.

Something like this would be perfect but I can't find a supplier in the UK. The closest I've found is this from here but I can't figure out this sentence on the modmytoys site
    The other option is something like this but that's obviously more work in that I'd have to remove the existing lighting and attach that in instead.

I'm not interested in expensive solutions like the NZXT RGB HUE+ etc

Thanks in advance!

GK

2. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I'll check my box of bits, I had a load of lighting stuff from Kronos a while back so may be able to help.

3. GeorgeK

Awesome - all I really need is just an on-off switch which can power 2 molex devices :)

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Sounds like you just need to break out the soldering iron and mod your own. Simple enough, me thinks.

5. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I've had a look through a couple of boxes and it doesn't look like I've got what you're after. I do have one of the NZXT controllers you linked to sans lights which you'd be more than welcome to. As Nexxo says it'd be very easy to just put a switch in a blanking plate, or wherever, and just make your own.

Sorry I can't be more help.

6. GeorgeK

I would have literally no idea where to start...

Thanks for that - I'll bear that in mind :) Just need to work out how the strips connect to that particular controller :thumb:

7. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

You'd need to mod the strips or the controller to hook it up so it's no easier than just making a blanking plate switch really. Are both of your strips on the same peripheral connector or do they have one each? Are they pass through connectors (for daisy chaining) or just standard?

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Why do anything with the strips/controller? I'd just stick a switch in the molex 12v wire (yellow one) and that's it, job jobbed.

I did this on an old fan controller I had which wouldn't turn fans off fully. Had a little molex extension plugged in to the power socket, snipped the yellow wire, added some extra wire to a on/off switch, drilled a hole in the fan controller, stuck the switch in, soldered the wires onto the switch, job done. Depending on what switch you get you could get away without doing any soldering at all, just crimp everything.

9. GeorgeK

I believe (although it's been a while since I last looked) that they just have 1 standard connector each - don't think that there is an option for pass through.

Haha - that sounds like a lot of work! Compared to the alternative of buying the NZXT kit and fitting it I know which I'm leaning more towards.

Still would prefer an 'off the shelf' alternative to use my current lights though.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]