1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SATA III on SATA II Mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bituser, 14 Oct 2011.

1. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Hi,

I have a motherboard which only supports SATA II and I am going to get a 1tb HDD. Almost all of the HDDs appear to be SATA III nowadays. If I purchase a SATA III HDD will it be throttled to 3gb/s or will it just not work? Also, if you have any recommendations please post them. I am looking for the fastest speed at 1tb SATA.

Thanks.

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

It will be throttled to Sata II speed, although a standard platter HDD will not be able to saturate a Sata II or III connection. You would need a raid array for that.

For the fastest - look at Samsung F3 or F4, or the Western Digital Black series.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Sata III for HDD's is a gimic I am afraid, HDD's can't saturate sata 2 let alone get near sata 3.

You only need to worry about sata 3 if your are looking at getting an SSD really

4. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

I'm no longer sure on which is the fastest 1tb drive, used to be the Samsung f3 would be recommended round here.
    A sata 3 drive will just run at sata 2 speeds and with a hdd you won't see any difference.

5. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

SATA1/2/3 are meant to be interoperable. In my experience it depends on the drive/disk controller combination. Some drives have jumpers that allow you to force the drive to a particular SATA version which seems to always work.

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Hard drives can not take advantage of sata III so the connection is a gimmick. Just get the best/cheapest 1TB you can find that is reputable.

7. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Tags: