1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Reactor Meltdown |20-07-2014|Illumitube crowdfunding only 1 week left!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by skyrip, 26 Sep 2013.

?

which fitting type would you take (renders at post #43)

Poll closed 4 Feb 2014.
  1. round flange type

35.7%
  2. hexagon flange type

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. compression solid tube fitting

71.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

hey everybody,

For the coolermaster casemod contest im going to build a new pc case. it will be based on the cooler master centurion 6 case which ofcourse will be modified extensively.
    this mod wil incorperate: custom reservoirs, custom made radiators and some more things im still working on.

in the top i will put a 360 self made radiator, in the bottom on the sides will be 2x 240mm rads based on the same principle. The front will host a special reservoir based on my tube reservoirs with spinners. and maybe if i have space, time and money left i will do some more stuff.

this build is going to be somewhat on a budget since i have almost all components i only needed to order some special watercooling stuf(still a secret) and the metal for the radiators.

the front panel will be replaced by a nice steel or aluminium one instead of the somewhat cheap plastic.

here are the first pics of my progress:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so after these pics i stripped the case of its rivits to be able to draw my cutting lines etc.
    [​IMG]

as you can see the 5.25 bays are gone aswell as the 3.5 inch bays.

stay tuned for some awesome watercooling magic :)

Last edited: 20 Jul 2014
  2. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

Industrial and atomic? I'll watch!

send from Deathstar via HAL9000

3. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

thanks, still waiting on some goods from china to realy get going.

i also have a very small update of the stuff that has arrived already:
    [​IMG]
    my new bearings imported from the usa, they are 12mm inside diamitor for the tube reservoir.

also i got my new thread cutters, the one on the left and the outside thread cutter are M12x1 and the other one is a new G1/4 machine thread cutter.

[​IMG]

next i got the 12od 6id acylic tube, this will house the ccfl and keep the tops of the reservoirs together.

[​IMG]

next an example of how the bearing, tube and ccfl come together:
    [​IMG]

next item on the list is a motorized valve(g1/2), on the right is a g1/4 reference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

last thing for today i wanted to show you guys how my spinner evolved that will be in the tube reservoirs(reactor)
    [​IMG]

that is it for now, im hoping my aluminium and the chinese stuff arrive soon, hopefully in 2 weeks.

i already have the design finished but my rendering software is not working and the models are to complex to capture via screenshot directly from solidworks. so you'll just have to wait and see.

4. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

I can see some really great ideas starting out here!

Are those spinners 3D printed, or milled?

What render software do you use?

5. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

thanks, i do hope to implement some new ideas i have, the big valves are only the beginning.

those spinners are milled out of 10mm plexiglas.

my design software is solidworks 2013

and as with my previous build i will be using mayhams aurora again only this time i will implement the stuff i learned from my previous aurora experience.

6. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Watching out of odd curiosity :)

7. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

bad news, the items coming from china were refused by customs for some strange reason, going to ask them if they can send them again but with priority shipping. im hoping to get the aluminium for the radiators by the end of this week so i can finally do something :p

8. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

well i have ordered some new valves so hopefully this time they do arrive.

i also finished the design of my front reservoir:
    [​IMG]

the idea is to use 2 valves, 1 connected to the main box reservoir and 1 connected to the tube reservoirs, the intake will be in the 2 tube reservoirs but the 2 other valves enable me to level the water level of the 2 reservoirs(both open), maintain water level(box res closed) and overflow the tube reservoirs(box open, tube reservoirs closed)

[​IMG]

the simulation how i want it is:
    normal(tube reservoirs full, box reservoir looks empty)
    steam buildup(insufficient cooling of reactor causes the water to socalled turn into steam)
    reactor breach/meltdown(casing looks like it bursts and water rushes out of the top of the tubes)
    the reservoir is only visible from the top to the grey plate.

for extra effect i might add oil instead of air to get a more awesome effect(lavalamp like)

going to start on this reservoir in the weekend unless some miracle happens and my aluminium arrives :p

9. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

today i finally was able to begin building the parts for the reservoir, it turned out great if i may say so :p
    first the dry assembled reservoir(spinner and ccfl tube are still on the way)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a picture of the outside reservoir walls removed:
    [​IMG]
    the bottom plate:
    [​IMG]
    from left to right: bottom, side, front/back, and below them is the top plate
    [​IMG]

that is it for today, tormorrow im planning on building the spinners for the res aswel as making the centre tube res pipe to hold the ccfl.

the plan that i have is to put a 3mm mirror on the back of the reservoir, that will give it some more depth.
    reservoir size is: 146*215*155mm(width*hight*depth)

10. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

well today i worked on the components of the spinner part, for this reservoir it will consist of 2 bearings per tube reservoir, one on the bottom and one on the top to hold the uv green rods at the top in place.

first i made the water guides, these help convert the flow of water going in(vertical) to a nice rotating stream to power the flow indicators(reactor core's)
    [​IMG]

next are the actual flow indicator parts, these will house 5 4mm thick uv green rods each:
    [​IMG]

next is a picture of the bottom part with the inlets and the water guides:
    [​IMG]

next with the water guides mounted:
    [​IMG]

added the flow indicators:
    [​IMG]

added the walls for some visual indicaton how it will look, put a ccfl in the centre tube and one stick of uv green rod(will be cut to size later)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the last one for this week is the complete overview of the spinner parts: (the complete round part is the top uv green rod holder.
    [​IMG]

only a couple things left to do for this res: top lid, back mirror and the middel mirror.

that is it for this week, next week im hoping i can start on the aluminium radiators :)

11. SiZZiGY

SiZZiGY Nano Evolution in progress...

Very funny idea I like it!! I'm looking forward to see more :)

12. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

some good and bad news, the good news is that i finally got a delivery date for the aluminium, the bad news is that it is next monday. so just after a weekend :(

i also have assembled 1 spinner and wanted to show you guys how it looks:
    [​IMG]

the camera does make it look more blue however, in reality it is glowing nicely green.

if you look closely you can see that i have threaded the entire rod surrounding the ccfl, i might do that to all the tubes in this build because it just adds that extra dimention to the tubes.

13. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

unfortunatally i couldnt do anything this weekend because of the lack of materials :(. so i have some renders of the stuf im going to make next weekend.

first i have a small overview of the case:
    [​IMG]

top view of the top radiator:
    [​IMG]
    sideview:
    [​IMG]
    perspective view:
    [​IMG]

i will also make 2 radiators on the bottom:
    top(side) view::
    [​IMG]
    side of the radiator:
    [​IMG]
    perspective:
    [​IMG]

the water chanals of the radiators are going all the way through the aluminum and are sealed on either side with a plexiglas panel+oring.
    this way i can easily put a led strip directly underneath the channels and combined with aurora fluid this is hopefully going to look fantastic.

next week i will have the plexiglass for the front panel, mirrors and the alu so next weekend hopefully there will be a big update :)

14. SiZZiGY

SiZZiGY Nano Evolution in progress...

Ok then be ready for the next week :D It will be a lot of work soon for you, your 3D model is a good way to see where you goin :)

15. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

i sure am ready :) have been waiting for a couple of weeks already :p

in other news:
    santa came early this year and he delivered me a lot of nice stuffies :)

first up: the plexiglass:
    3x 12-8 plexi tubes
    1x 1000x500 3mm plexi clear
    1x 1000x500 3mm plexi white
    1x 800x400 3mm plexi mirror
    1x 550x300 25mm plexi clear

[​IMG]

the big fat plate that is going to be milled into my front piece:
    [​IMG]

also the aluminium finally arrived today :)
    the small slices weigh 1.65kg each and the bigger piece weighs 3.8kg :rock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also i found a good deal on a new drill press, it is stronger and much bigger than my old cheap drill pres which was wobbling a lot. this will certainly come in handy when drilling on the sides of very big reservoirs(1M max size)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also finally the solenoid valves arrived, these will be used in combination with the top radiator, details will come later ;)
    i currently have 2 versions, a metal heavy duty one and a smaller plastic one. i will probably use the plastic version since it will not mess with the aluminium.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i have also gotten the arduino fake, touch screen and the relais block that will control the motorized valves and the solonoid valves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tomorrow im going the be hard at work trimming down my alumuminum, hopefully i will have 3 finished radators by the end of the week :)

16. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I've never watercooled so I'm just going on what I know.

What are the balls in your bearings made of? I'm just thinking of an metallic reactions with other components in your loop.

17. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

the balls in the bearings are made of glass and the outer parts are made of POM, no metal in these bearings :)

18. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

well yesterday i have been busy from 15:00 til 24:00 with the top radiator :p
    the weight went from 3.8kg to 1.55kg so more than 2kg was taken away :)

without furter ado: the results

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it takes almost 4M of oring cord to seal the radiator on one side so about 8m total, just hope i can get it watertight.

i also have some foto's of the progress so if there is interest in seeing those foto's i will post them on request.

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looking neat.:D
    -You have to post links for where you got the bearings. Some people here quit their spin res development because they didn't have stuff like that. ;)
    Edit: NVM, found 'em at McMaster Carr.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2013
  20. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

just dont expect them to work the same way metal bearings work, these have to be pushed into the hole but that fitting has to be preciese to the 0.05mm for the best results. that is because a normal metal bearing does not flex so much. also these plastic bearings tend to be very wobly running loose.