1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Replace Molex with Dupont for power

Discussion in 'Modding' started by LePhuronn, 11 Mar 2017.

1. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Hi

I'm in the process of trimming down some areas for my current project and redesigning some minor bits, and every mm of space will help.

I'm looking at some custom PSU cables that use Dupont connectors rather than Molex so I have some really low-profile plugs in tight spaces.

Dupont connectors seem to be about the same size internally as SATA so I don't think there'd be any issues, but I thought I'd ask before running 12V for a pump and a couple of hard drives through them!

Hit me up with advice and suggestions :thumb:

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

If you're talking about the 0.1" (2.54mm) housings and pins then they're designed for use with 22-28AWG wire which suggests that they'll be significantly more limited in terms of amperage than Molex type connectors. I use them for temperature sensor connectors, USB extensions and motherboard power/LED connections.

I'd suggest considering using 4 pin connectors with ATX pins:

4 pin female
    4 pin male

Last edited: 11 Mar 2017
  3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Big Elf is right, you'll want to track down manufactures specifications and and check the rated wire size and ampacity is higher than the total connected load per connector. Note that SATA power connectors achieve the required ampacity by having each line connect to three pins in parallel. Thus allowing a thinner but still fairly wide plug.

4. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Thanks guys. It's just a flight of fancy really while I'm reworking some items in the build.

I'm looking at connecting 5V LED strips, a 5V laptop blower fan and possibly a 10W DDC pump in some really small spaces or through case panels without have massive cutouts, so was thinking of using the 2.54mm pitch Dupont connectors instead.

I'll go look at the amperage of the items in question and see what the crack is and see if 22 AWG and smaller is up to scratch. Shouldn't be an issue for the LED strips.

Cheers.

5. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Had a look and it might be OK.

The LED strips I'm looking at are 12V input and 4.8W/m, so that's 0.4A/m. Some of the cheaper Chinese LED strips are 1A/m. 24 AWG is rated for 2A, 2.54mm pitch Dupont are rated for 3A.

I could even get away hooking my 10W DDC up using 24 AWG.