1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Triangle head screwdriver???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jhanlon303, 22 Oct 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I need to find a screwdriver or a bit to remove some scres with the triangle indented heads. Google + 2 hours = nothing. Any ideas where to get this. It's for a case for a nano-itx surprise for my wife.
    John

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It's not one of these Torx screws is it? http://www.ministeam.com/acatalog/hb003.JPG?

Sorry if you're already familiar with it, but you'll need a Torx screwdriver if that's the one.

mods, sorry for hotlinking, I'll remove/replace it if the thread keeps on for a bit

:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Oct 2006
  3. jhanlon303

Nope! Triangle with 3 sides, like some of the older matchbox and Lesni(sp?) toys.
    What I have is an easy bake oven to put nano-itx with Coby 7" LCD Tv for my wife. Next month (20th) is our 25th anniversary and I want to put this in the kitchen as a surprise. These are not safety screws like the walls in the loo stalls, these really do have only 3 sides. I'll take them out once, and the replace them with some real screws we can work on. By the way they are in holes about 12 or 13 cm deep. LOOOOOng screwdriver blade.
    John

4. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Triangle Recess (TP3) screwdriver bits are rare, but I've found several sources including mcmaster.com (search for part# 5941A13).
    http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/112/gfx/small/a7atriangles.gif
    http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/112/gfx/small/5941ap1s.gif
    Amazon has them too, but they're not as long as the mcmaster bits and they're way more expensive. http://shopping.msn.com/results/shp/?bCatID=6396,av=2-4210814
    http://images.shopping.msn.com/img/3562/3364/132/49980269.jpg

The sizes are in metric so you may have to find a way of measuring the recess screw size, like putting some modeling clay on the end of a stick and making a depression you can measure from.
    Or just buy one of each size.

If they're recessed in narrow holes you may have a more difficult issue of not being able to fit the screwdriver bit into the recess, but I haven't tried to take an Easy-Bake Oven apart so I have no idea.

An alternative solution would be to find a set screw T-handle hex key at the correct mm size then grind off 3 of the corners of the end to make your own triangle screwdriver. The difficult in doing this is that hex measurements are taken from a different direction than the triangle bits so you would need to take the measurements you get off the screws in the oven to a hardware store and figure out which hex key size will match up after it's ground down.

Good luck :dremel:

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Oct 2006
  5. jhanlon303

Thanks! Love the clay on a stick idea. Holes too small for a wooden pencil. I'll try a bamboo chop stick.
    I'll keep you posted.
    John the Ancient Geek

6. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

You can try to get it out with a very small flat head screwdriver, that is what I do most of the time for those stupid triangle screws

7. Frogmonster

Frogmonster What's a Dremel?

If you have a dremel or a grinder, you could sacrafice a roberts head screwdriver to the cause. I did that to dismantle a McDonalds happy meal toy once. (don't ask)

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

A new one on me. :confused: In fact two new ones, I've never seen a triangle-head. Torx I've got a couple of sizes, bought to take a HDD to bits.

9. Macaba

Macaba What's a Dremel?

Ahh yes, I'm in the uk, and about the only place you'll find 'robertson' screws is in high quality screws designed for constructing outdoor wooden decking. I've used hundreds of these, and its beautiful, I can drive them in with a POWER DRILL (v high speed) and it won't slip once. I wish 85% of screws sold here were 'robertson head' too.

10. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Take a look at Sears. I've had good luck finding really unusual screwdrivers there.

11. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

heat up a bic pen (till it goes soft, whithout buring the plasticand press it agaisnt the screw and hold it for a few secs (10s) Unscrew directly without removing the pen. Worked for those stupid custom screws on nintendo stuff.

see http://www.xavboxcube.com/fr/technique-du-bic-gamecube.php3

12. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

He cannot drill them out. He said that the screws are recessed in by 12 or 13 cms. They don't make consumer drills that can take care of something like that.

I second the trip to Sears idea, but the heated BIC pen sounds pretty intriguing.

13. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

The length of the holes is not an issue. Longer length drill bits are easy to find.
    Drilling out screws that are holding together plastic devices will melt the plastic around the screw and ruin the threaded studs you would have needed to use to reassemble the unit neatly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.