1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BNP Membership list posted online: Do you care?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Rum&Coke, 19 Nov 2008.

1. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/18/bnp_loses_list/

As for the actual list, here is a handy neighbourhood racist search link: http://www.localgibson.com/bnp/

Now, obviously the person that leaked the list should be prosecuted however I have no sympathy at all for hypocrites who complain about their right to privacy while their entire platform is based on stripping immigrants of rights. A right of privacy that one could say they may not have had the highest expectation of since the people on the list are people who have filled in a form and paid via credit card for membership, they must have known such a list was compiled.

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I think this is where Nexxo would pipe in with the price of the good guys speech.

Just because these ass hats would deny certain rights to certain people doesn't mean they're not entitled to all the rights under the law, including the dpa.

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Don't get me wrong, if I was on that list I'd be outraged, but that's just hilarious.

4. Rum&Coke

That is why I accept the leaker should be prosecuted, the "Price of being good guys" is pretty shitty but its not like the government publishes a "Racist List" and endorses it like the Americans publish their "Nonce List". The situation is still hilariously hypocritical, not least because of this quote.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7736794.stm

:D

5. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

While i dont give two shits about the list being released, the people on the list shouldnt either, if their party was moral, right and that is their belief.

The thing that worries me is that from the BNP leaders having said, having checked this list against their copy, seven more people have been added to the list presumably by the people that published it, if these people arent BNP members, and are innocently being attacked/ abused its not funny.

6. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The problem comes when you believe yourself to be moral, but live in a society which disagrees with you.

And if you have a problem with "innocent" people being attacked, why is it ok to attack the BNP?

We have a democratic political process for a reason.

7. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Sorry, i didnt mean that it is ok for BNP members to be attacked, i meant in a way that these people may have no connections to the BNP and being attacked wrongly, that really doesnt make much sense i know, apologies.

I like RumAndCokes quote from UKIP.

8. Major

Major Guest

Shoot em....

;)

Where can I find this list?

9. quack

quack Minimodder

10. Major

Major Guest

Just used that postcode thingy, and someone I know is on it, lol...

11. Rum&Coke

DJ Sacked, Liverpool cop under investigation and the BNP go running to...european law for help?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5189610.ece

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i am in two minds about this. fact is we live in a society that in principle tolerates free speech. the BNP's official line is not about racism, therefore we can't infer that all its members would partake in hate crimes. what we're basically seeing here is a witch hunt, and i can't really condone that.

even worse, to lose one's job because of your political leanings? um, what? seriously? that's honestly ridiculous. if people started firing labour party members we'd be up in arms; again it's being pronounced guilty by association. besides, a professional should be able to go about his employment without his political preferences being a hindrance. if, and ONLY if, it begins to affect his judgement, behaviour or effectiveness, then discipline should be considered.

example! At risk of being ridiculed and/or outcast by the overly liberal people out there, I'm gonna come out and say it - i'm not overly comfortable with homosexuality. it doesn't bother me per se, but there, i have a prejudice (get over it, we all have them). I have worked with gay people in the past and i haven't let that get in the way of our professional relationship. We have managed to work efficiently and effectively. How i let my prejudices affect my actions, and how other people assume they MIGHT affect them are vastly different things; and people should be allowed the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2008
  13. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

It seems that there are now several websites dedicated to providing the entire list of names and details (including phone and email) :eek:

14. Rum&Coke

You really have to looking through tunnel vision to say the BNP isn't a racist organisation, even if you don't want to subscribe to the idea that "anti-immigration is the new racism" then there are multiple tv and journalistic investigations showing that it is basically just a racist organisation holding back from venting in public. This is recognised by most public bodies and BNP membership and membership in any other political party that has a core prejudice belief is only specifically prohibited to Police and prison officers, while in all other cases membership is only discouraged. If you work for a public body then you cannot have a baseless prejudice against someone that interferes with your work and in the cases of police/prison officers the powers given to them over the public carries too a chance that someone will abuse their power. As you said you have a prejudice against gay people, well if you wanted to work in the public body then you are being paid by those gay people and will be likely servicing them in some way so unless you could remove that prejudice from your working environment you shouldn't be working there.

In private bodies such as the DJ its a bit more complex, almost all companies have it written in peoples contracts that they have to keep from being in "public disrepute with the company's public image" or something along that lines that says all right, you have a right to free speech, however if your views clash with the company's in a very public way, they can remove you.

I think the situation would probably garner the BNP more sympathy if they didn't have a membership connections with Redwatch which basically does the exact same thing, except listing local neighbourhood "anti-racists" for attacking.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

By that logic, we should forbid people in public service or office from being members of a religious denomination. I mean, there is definitely some mysogeny and homophobia going on there...

Sorry, no can do. People can believe what they want, as long as they behave at work. If they don't, you can sack them for their behaviour, not for their beliefs. You cannot punish people for what you think they might do.

We all know they're asshats. Doesn't mean we should behave in the same way.

16. Rum&Coke

Yes I know that is why as I said as long as you don't allow your prejudice to interfere with your work you can basically work anywhere, apart from Police/Prison Warden. If there was any religion in which it's core was about prejudice the police would probably have serious consideration. Of course religions are a special case since there are multiple interpretations etc...

I already said earlier the leaker should be prosecuted. Unlike the redwatch admins which are not.

17. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Oh crap... my name is on there

:p

18. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

double standards. you can't in one breath shout 'the person who released this list should be prosecuted!' and then in another say 'but the bnp members have everything coming to them' - the person who leaked this list should be prosecuted for the very reason that the people on that list have a right to their data being protected.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2008
  19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, including police/wardens. There is plenty of institutional racism in the police, legal and prison system, but the perpetrators regard themselves as ordinary members of society. They are the ones you should worry about.

"Prejudice" is hard to nail down. I could argue that just applying for the job makes you prejudiced in some way (same applies to politicians, social workers, even psychologists). And almost every religion, at its core, is about prejudice.

They should be. Same rules apply for everybody --without prejudice. ;) But the site is hosted in the US where it is protected under the First Amdendment. And in any case, what matters is the behaviour:

20. xion

xion Minimodder

How is it that publishing a list of personal details regardless of the source should be condoned at all let alone celebrated and passed around like a trophy stag???

People's home addresses, phone numbers, information about their CHILDREN for god's sake, is all being made available online for any to view, and this is supposed to be OK because it's people who joined a particular LEGAL political party?

I often play the Devil's advocate just to stir debate, but on this point I speak true. I find it totally abhorrent that we can vilify a person for belonging to a group. What of UKIP, SNP, Plaid Cymru, Sinn Fein? Hell even (dare I say it) the National Black Police Association.

The term Nationalist gets lumped together with racist far too easily. One problem that continually arises is that very few of us read even a brief synopsis of any parties manifesto, have little to no understanding of their true goals, and use public opinion as fact. I've never voted for this reason alone, my vote would be uneducated and uninformed.

I wonder if we would all be cheering if the personal details of all Bit-Tech Members were "Leaked" in some "anti-Hacker-get-your-pound-of-flesh-these-people-are-evil" movement.

... I'll get off my soap-box now...