1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News NZXT launches Kraken sealed-loop coolers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Oct 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

I'd be very interested in this ... Good to see something a bit different too (SATA power). There hasn't been much innovation in this area. Although I am very tempted by the Antec 920 if I can ever save enough up!

one idea I've yet to see is to use a Peltier TEC cooler to get the heat off the CPU which is then water cooled - might help get temps even further down, however, extra power is needed

3. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Dont they generally use more power than the CPU it's cooling though? It seems incredibly unnecessary unless you are going for extreme overclock benchmarks but dont want to use liquid nitrogen.

4. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Go to see new competition but new designs are also welcome because at the distance, they will perform almost the same and the price difference will be the only factor to count in.

I tried to held myself but I have to do it.... RELEASE THE KRAKEN!
    (I'll go get my coat)

5. Nicodemus_MM

Nicodemus_MM What's a Dremel?

One thing to keep in mind is that when a TEC fails it becomes an excellent insulator. It's about the only cooling product with that property. Most other coolers will suffer greatly in performance upon critical failure, but they still dissipate some heat. Otherwise they're pretty nice and are even stackable, I'd just be wary of it failing. Maybe only use it for suicide runs, not 24/7. YMMV. Good luck.

6. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

They can do especially if you go extreme as I used to do with 226w peltier. At full power that's double what a CPU will consume. There are ways to balance consumption though and if you're not aiming for below ambient cooling then the power consumption doesn't have to be that great. Digital control of peltier can be effective especially if there's a management interface to allow the user to create own profiles. I'd love to see a peltier+liquid system. I miss the days of having a peltier on my CPU. You could have a peltier+water loop with peltier adjusted automatically based on CPU load. Peltiers are incredibly versatile so it's a shame the PC cooling industry is afraid to use them now.