1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BioShock 2 DRM detailed in full

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

And with 15 activation limits this is going to avoid second-hand sales how? It's not! This SecuRom rubbish serves no purpose apart from wasting everyone's time.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Just buy it off Steam... or pirate it as a protest to DRM.

4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

And that would help how? You would still have the GFWL activation limit.

As much as people complain about its unreliability upon release of new games, Steamworks is an infinitely better DRM solution than either of these POS.

5. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I hope that was meant as joke!

I dont see why games purchased through steam still need GFWL its a pain in the ass, Take GTA IV for instance, i have it on steam but to play it, i need to have steam,Rockstar social shite, and GFWL to run it.

Now im no genius but surely steam would be the only thing needed if the game was bought from it.

If we had cross platform multiplayer then having a pc game using GFWL would be a good thing imo but as it is its just another thing i dont need but am forced to use.

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

hmm. Everyone complains about the max 3 or 5 times activation ob bio1. and now it is raised to 15 times and you still complain. I don't get it., I do not have 15 pc's. Not even to mention the install it on 5 pc's for my own usage.

P.s. BitTech; Where are all the reviews of all the new hardware, Like the GF100, new motherboards and the like? Or are you all still in winter recession? Ah never mind i now know why. Ok you are great again ;)

Last edited: 22 Jan 2010
  7. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

With SecoROM on the hard copies, I'll be getting a digital version. There's no way I'm letting that malware on my PC.

8. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

That is... just awful.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Steam and online stores ALREADY prohibit second hand sales. I had dinner this week with a guy who used to work for Universal Studios and Vivendi and from his (business) perspective they absolutely love it.

It's nice that they don't detail how exactly you "contact Microsoft", like there's this one person in one of the largest companies in the world, waiting on the end of a phone or email.

Why do companies feel the need to go with Steam AND G4WL?? Just to have the ****ing Xbox integration. Surely the fact I have to fill my resources with ONE background application just to load it is enough.

10. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

11. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

I'm perfectly fine with securom disc protection, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I'm more concerned by GFWL crap, 15 activations? They should use Steam DRM instead of pointless restrictions.

12. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

I do have boxed games that i only installed ones, and found out that the pirated version worked better and easier. one of the first things i do with a new game bought boxed is to put in a no cd crack.

one reason steam is great, no cd's

13. veato

veato I should be working

I thought 15 activations seems quite reasonable. GFWL is shite though.

14. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Agreed. 15 activations is a lot of installs, even for me, so it's not going to be a dealbreaker.

It's still bloody annoying, though. Isn't Steam enough DRM for these douchebags?

15. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Yup, as soon as I read Games for Windows Live, I lost interest.

16. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

+1

I always try and get a nocd crack put on before i even try and boot the game.

These activation limits to me make it feel like your renting the games instead of owning them. Microsoft will probably find a way of extracting more money from you if you do install more than 15 times too !

17. sear

sear Guest

I really don't have a problem with this. I admit I've become a bit of an achievement whore in the last few years, so having Games for Windows LIVE support doesn't bother me. It's not my ideal setup, for sure, but in this day and age, you can't expect DRM-less PC games from big publishers.

18. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

treating everyone like a pirate? no change there then

19. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i would have to pirate it due to the SecoROM unless i got it from steam (does not like demon tools)

20. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I may just buy this on PS3 to save a lot of hassle.

Tags: Add Tags