1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uniprocessor client on 2500k... Worth it?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Ljs, 13 Oct 2011.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Been thinking of folding for a while...

Basically as the title says, is folding with the uniprocessor client worth it?

I am fairly poor right now and couldn't justify having my PC going full speed all day (+ the electricity bills are in my better halfs name and I don't want her to have to shell out!).

I started using this client (not realising it wasn't the SMP one) and was surprised but how little extra heat and stress it put on my CPU. This is nice though because I can leave it on without feeling too guilty, and I can get on with doing stuff and gaming without noticing it.

Whilst I know a contribution is a contribution, will it be consuming enough less power to justify it? I know that is subjective, but I don't have the tools to measure how much juice my PC is sucking from the wall.

It is either that or just running SMP for a few hours every day now and then when I am AFK.

What do you think would be better? I have no idea about F@H and yields so a little nudge in the right direction would be awesome.

Cheers.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2011
  2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

From Stanford's point of view every WU returned within the deadline is worthwhile.
    From the CPC team's point of view every WU returned within the deadline is worthwhile.

From your point of view only you can decide if points per watt (or pounds) is worthwhile. Your current setup sounds fine from your description.

Ljs likes this.
  3. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I'm looking to up my efforts a little. Been running the Uniprocessor client most the time when my PC is on but it seems to yield naff all points!

Any idea (roughly) how long the SMP units take to complete (2500k currently @ 4.5)? I was thinking of running that for a few hours to begin with everyday and the rest with Uniprocessor client and see how that goes...

4. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

The time range can be 5 -12 hours (approx. on your machine running constantly), it depends entirely which WU you are assigned.

The deadline can be anything from 3 - 7 days but you will maximize your points by completing the WU ASAP.

Make sure you have a passkey before running SMP WUs. Your PPD will increase once you have completed 10 WUs 80% of which must be completed within the deadline.

Look here for further info : - http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey

Good luck!

Ljs likes this.
  5. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Much appreciated, thanks!

I'll give SMP a try after I get a passkey...