1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Which GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noizdaemon666, 10 Aug 2011.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I recently bought a second 5770 on here (thanks Mortus :thumb:) to add to the one I already have. Works great and I get good performance. However, after promising my fiancee that that will be it for spending money for a few years I feel the urge to upgrade again :D

So, question: If I sell my two 5770s I can get a GTX460. Would this be an upgrade or a sideways step performance wise?

Would rounding up some extra cash and getting myself a GTX560 offer a far better performance increase? Or would I be better sticking to what I have until Kepler and things are released?

Thanks

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

One GPU is always better than two, and a GTX560 would be much better than a GTX460, but...

Do you really need it? Two 5770s isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

What kind of performance do you get with your 5770s? You can compare with my GTX470 to give you an idea: Heaven Benchmark etc.

noizdaemon666 likes this.
  3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I think a 460 would be a downgrade form two 5770s

4. noizdaemon666

I'll get the heaven benchmark when i get home. I don't think running it on my work pc would help anyone :hehe:

And I don't think I particularly need to upgrade, I'm just worried that BF3 is going to bring my system to a stand still haha Plus new shiny things are always nice.

And I wasn't sure whether the 460 would be better or not, so thanks for that murraynt :)

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

No problem.

As a side not you would be much better off waiting for BF to come out and see what card are out then, thast what I'm doing.

6. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I think its best to wait for games to be released, then see whether your graphics can handle them instead of just guessing what will work based on game trailers.

7. noizdaemon666

Hmmm I hadn't thought of that. Waiting to see what my current setup can handle, would seem the best way to go about it now I think about it. It would definitely save me an ear bashing from the other half....for now at least :D

Cheers guys.

+rep to all :thumb:

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

5770's in Crossfire is around 5870 performance (slightly higher or lower, depending on the game). They will only use about 20w more than a single 5870, again depending on the cards and the use.

I agree with the others, wait and see what happens (e.g. BF3) to see if you need an upgrade.

It is what I am doing with my GTX 460 SLI setup.

9. Ultim8

Ultim8 What's a Dremel?

well 5770 xfire is around the performance of a single 5870.

5870>460
    5870>560

So no dont upgrade, however it all depends how well the game scales with xfire, but my guess is you'll be just fine. I played the alpha with my 5870 and no problems at all.

My suggestion is to hold fire on the upgrade, wait til after BF3 has been released and AMD announce there pcie3 7 series and then see if its worth upgrading to something then :)

Also start softening the misses up with gifts ready for upgrade time :D

10. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

I really think a 460 would be a downgrade, and 560 just a sidegrade. Sound advice up there, wait a bit unless you're already dissatisfied with performance, but you'd have to pony up for more than a 560 imo.