1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Axiotron's ModBook rises from the grave

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 29 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The Wacom-tablet with pressure-sensitive pen is so much better then your finger-tip when painting, but I guess that this remodeling of the device would cost so much, that you could easily get a Wacom Cintiq 12WX in addition to your normal MacBooc Pro 13".

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Looks cool but is probably very heavy and expensive :/

4. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

Well apart from OSX and the DVD drive - this is what I'd want in a tablet.

5. moshpit

moshpit What's a Dremel?

Okay, wait.... Core i7 DUAL CORE??? Ummmmm.... no. No such beast. Time for a source check.

6. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

There's a lot of dual cores for the mobile sector.

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I thought all but the high end mobile i7s were dual cores?

Edit: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processor-comparison/compare-intel-processors.html?select=laptop

Source: Intel :D

Last edited: 29 Jun 2012
  8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

As a lap mounted drawing tool I can see it being quite nice, but is it really worth the premium over a Cintiq 12WX?

OSX isn't built for pen input, and windows has never been great. Touch is getting better support in windows (if you use Metro) so maybe that's an option...

Oh but wait, the modbook doesn't have a touch interface, it's the wacom pen or nothing. There goes your multi-touch intuitiveness! Lost the pen? Oh dear.

And as to a keyboard? We can all moan about touch keyboards not having tactile feedback, but they're certainly a lot better than an onscreen keyboard you have to tap at with a pen.

I really don't see who they're aiming this at. Enterprise won't touch it as future support is too risky. Same goes with solutions suppliers, they'll pick an android + pen device if they need the pen input.

And for everyone else there's a million and one laptops & tablets to choose from.

I still want one of course... I just wouldn't ever pay for one.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Your confidence is impressive, but misplaced: behold Intel's Ark page for the Core i7-3520M, a dual-core processor chosen by Apple for its latest MacBook Pro models.

10. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Wacom replacement pens are pretty cheap. They're probably aiming at the artist with a decent amount of money, needs to travel fairly often and doesn't want to bring a 12WX with them.

That's not exactly a small market segment when it comes to digital artists who use OSX.

11. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

So...digital artist, travel a lot, has a buttload of money, use OSX. Sounds like a pretty small segment to me :p Seriously, though, these things start (from Apple) at like $2K, right? I hope homie kept his day job, as I can't see him selling a whole lot of these.

12. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Also, how long before Apple sues over some ridiculous BS? That's what they seem to do these days. I'm sure he's "violating" some term, condition, patent, trademark, something. At the very least, Apple will sic their lawyers on him until there's nothing left of Modbook, Inc. All the press he's gotten the past couple days, I'll be surprised if there isn't word of a lawsuit some time next week.

13. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Its like when someone made 3G capable macbook pros and Apple shut him down.

14. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I'm pretty up to speed with Apple stories. When was this? You sure you're not getting the story mixed up with the 3G Macbook pro machine that ended up on ebay after Apple 'lost' it?

15. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

16. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Just had a google about it and that is the story that came up, although I did think that at the time I read it that someone was making them, and Apple confiscated their equipment. I suppose someone might have story that Apple made one and decided to have a go :D

17. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

This would really be awsome if they just managed to incorporate touch aswell. I bought a wacom cintiq 12wx a while ago, and even though it's greate for what it's suppossed to do, i think it sucks at browsing. Typing a webpage or forum comment feels like it takes forever when you have to use the onscreen keyboard and the stylus. But since browsing isnt the main use for the cintiq its totally acceptable. But I wonder what it feels like in this case when the stylus is your only option if you dont whant an external keyboard and mouse. A high performance tablet with touch and pressuresensitive stylus would really be something, and I hope we will se that in the near future..

Tags: Add Tags