1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPad 2 Dual-Core CPU Rumoured

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 17 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Assuming the physical size stays the same (I can't imagine it would get much bigger) wouldn't anything on that resolution screen be hard to read without constant zooming?

Surely 720p or even 1080p would make more sense especially as everything is now geared for these resolutions (thanks to mainstream adoption of "HD").

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I will laugh heartily if it launches with a res that high on a similar form factor.

I would suspect that support would be used for external screens, such as plugging it into a monitor, or TV.

I very much doubt that res would appear on a ~10" device.

4. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Dual core processor, great! Extreme screen resolution, great! Resulting battery life that can be measured in milliseconds? Not so freaking great.

5. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Impressive but a display like that, with good viewing angles, and brightness for use in direct sunlight is going to cost a lot. That's going to bump up the already pretty high price.

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

There's no doubt that the new iPad will have a bigger screen and a more powerful SoC. It has to compete with the nVidia Tegra2 this year around after all.

As the manufacturer of the iPad-screens is known, it's just counting 1+1 actually.

7. Technobod

Technobod Minimodder

Exactly what I was thinking, but also the fact that until apps become HD then a lot of that ability may be wasted.

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

High res 4/3 screen .... I'd love computer screens with that resolution and that aspect ratio. I hate 10/9 and 16/10 screen to work .... only good for movies.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

PowerVR SGX543 is pretty much the same as SGX540, used in Samsung Galaxy S. so i highly doubt it's going to have such a display. (won't call it high resolution, as my 27inch has more pixels :p )

dual core is also wasted in current iOS system. sure it can be faster and smoother due to having 2 CPUs. but iOS just suspends any third party application, making dual-core a marketing phrase than a practical step forward.

i'd love an iPad, but i won't rush out to buy it until Apple implements WebOS kind of multi-tasking on it (applications are still running in the background, aka backgrounder on jailbroken iOS). although HP's announcement of WebOS tablets is very interesting.

10. kempez

kempez modding again!

If Apple can .launch with those specs at a decent price point with the same/better battery life then it will be a very impressive device indeed. Those two factors could be pretty killer though, especially price.

For those of you doubting a screen with that res, it would be superb. The iPhone 4's screen has a higher PPI than that (my maths aren't great, but I think so - 264ish for the rumoured new iPad compared to 326 on the iPhone 4) and looks stunning.

Rumours are rumours, but those specs sound good to me ;)

11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Surely the iPhone 4 has a higher pixel per inch density?

*does some maths*

iPhone 4: 326 PPI (960×640, 3½″ diagonal)
    iPad 2: 264 PPI (2,048x1,536, 9.7" diagonal)

Yup, the iPhone 4 has a much higher pixel density. In fact that PPI is nearly indentical to a typical mainstream smartphone with a 3.7" screen and a resolution of 480x800.

Seems to me like that's the kind of resolution all tablets should be pushing for.

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The new iPad might even have a 12"-screen with that resolution. Do the math...

2048x1536 in 12" = 216ppi = 240 x 180 mm screensize.

This would still fit into DinA4 (297x210mm) or Letter (279x216mm) perfectly fine and it would be even better imho without a too dense pixelpitch.

EDIT: Looking at the numbers and assuming the border around the screen to be evenly thick (3/4"), then the Letter-format makes actually total sense.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2011
  13. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

It's a doubling of pixel count in each dimension and it's the obvious way for Apple to go. They did it with the Retina display on iPhone 4 (which as Bauul points out has a tighter pitch than the suggested res for the iPad 2 would produce, much as iPhone 3GS has a tighter pitch than the existing iPad does). I'd be more surprised if Apple didn't push "Retina display" as one of the new features on iPad 2 than if they did. I think a faster processor (possibly dual core) must be absolutely nailed on, and I'd also be shocked if we didn't get a Facetime camera.

For app and accessory compatibility the aspect ratio and physical dimensions of the device will remain the same. Doubling screen res means old apps can be guaranteed to run with simple pixel doubling, which avoids any unsightly scaling issues on text (try running an LCD below its maximum resolution to see what I mean - text can look horribly smeared).

14. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Unlikely. Apple is far more likely in my view to produce an "iPad mini" with a 6-7" screen than a supersized one. What's the point of a 12" tablet? May as well carry a laptop. Even the existing 9" iPad is close in size to the 11" MacBook Air. They don't want any more crossover.

My money is on iPad 2 with Retina display (doubled resolution), Facetime camera and dual core, and POSSIBLY an iPad mini with same res as existing iPad (but inherently tighter dot pitch), Facetime camera and single core, so basically the same specs as the existing iPad but in a smaller form factor and probably with added Facetime.

I doubt we'll get a 128GBer this time round. Probably stick with 16/32/64 (maybe drop 16) for iPad 2, and if iPad mini comes along that will be 16/32GB.

Place your bets!!

15. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

This sounds great to me and worthy of the upgrade. Retina-like quality display on iPad2? Oh yes!

Kinda worried that Jobs' cancer might have come back though ...

:(

16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The current iPad (9.7") is 240x190mm and it's no wonder it's close to the size of the 11" MacBook Air. With my assumption of a 12"-screen the size would be 280x220mm and this is hardly making the device too big for the usual user. Every printed magazine is DinA4 or Letter-sized.

And an iPad-mini? Erm... the iPhone is basically an iPad-mini, so I don't see the point there.

Facetime-camera and aditional 5MP-camera in the back are allready confirmed for the iPad2, so there's no speculation about that.

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Im not convinced tegra is fully competing with this generation chips never mind next. With an even stronger push in gaming from the likes of sony with the psp phone and Nvidia with tegra hopefully we will start seeing some really good games coming out. With netbooks with android and ipad supporting keyboards whats to stop a mobile gaming session thats cheaper and more portable than a high end gaming laptop? With tailor made games its certainly possible

18. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

Haha! Good one! :p

19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

All other offerings for tablets with the specs of the iPad are exactly the same price. Just sayin'

Butt call me, if you find a comparable tablet for atleast $100 less :rolleyes:

20. REMF

REMF What's a Dremel?

"The new core also supports OpenCL"

Fantastic news about the OpenCL support in the 543MP2 core, just a shame it will take so much longer to reach smart-phones.

As to the resolution; it is much more likely to be 1920x1280, as this would be an integer increase over the iphone screen.

Tags: Add Tags