1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CCP: 'Sony was more open to Dust 514'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

One word.

Gutted :(

I want this on the PC! Console gaming is not as fun or as good for me as PC gaming...

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

I use to play EVE a while back, shame this isn't coming to PC or more consoles really as I do like the sound of this concept

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The PS3 has native USB-keyboard and mouse support, and as Dust514 uses the UnrealEngine the game plays like on a PC basically. However, the PS3 doesn't come with the drawbacks of PC-gaming. It's the same hardware for all players and stuff like wallhacks, speedhacks and aimbots are basically non-existant on a console. Those who manage to hack and cheat get banned and banning is quiet harsh on a console as your account is tied to your hardware (serial number of the console).

For being PS3 only, well... Microsoft said NO to Dust514, so what could CCP do anyways? It's not the fault of CCP.

5. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

nobody said that it was CCP fault? We just wished its came to the PC tbh. Also what are the drawbacks of PC gaming?

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

CCP made it very clear, that they want to get new players into the EvE Universe and not the same old people playing EvE Online currently. They didn't get tired of repeating this through the last 3 years of development. It's a fact CCP didn't even tried to hide, so it shouldn't actually surprise anyone.

In addition, FPS-games are usually prone to cheating on a PC using aimbots and wallhacks etc. For a competitive FPS like Dust514, which has influence on EvE Online that's not acceptable and a console is easily monitored and if someone really tries to cheat the actual hardware get's banned and not just an easily replacable account.

7. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

You're kidding right? The PS3 got hacked wide open only months ago and you've forgotten all the trouble Sony has had with PSN breaches already? Maybe you missed it. Anyway, I don't think any system is more hack proof than others.

8. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Aye PSN got hacked on a server level, but no individual consoles were hacked providing a small player base an advantage over others

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

You dont seem to have a grasp of how large in scope the EVE universe is and that this is not "gutted" but adding an aspect that has never happened before on a AAA title: Console players interacting with their PC Overlords.

Dust is supposed to be console only by design, if you want to experience the EVE universe in depth, Harden Up and download the client for EVE.

Hail CCP!!!

Yours in Hardcore 0.0/Wormhole Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

10. enciem

enciem Minimodder

The PS3 might support a keyboard and mouse but it won't support it for this game. It would make it unfair to those playing with a pad, it's nothing like playing on the PC because of this.

11. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

If it supports the shiny Move stuff, can't see why it won't have Keyboard and mouse support.

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Hacking PSN has nothing to do with players cheating using aimbots etc. And I don't know of any hacks for the PS3 to have aimbots or wallhacks in Battlefield or any other FPS currently. For a PC tho there's tons of cheats known and the cheaters don't even get punished, because all they've got to do is to create a new account. If you hack your PS3 and play online with it, then your hardware gets banned too, based on the serial number of your PS3.

As far as we know, we'll be able to play with keyboard and mouse natively. No quotes tho, as this is information given at the last fanfest.

13. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

your sounding like a real PS3 fanboy there, don't know if that's the case, but your sounding like one.

That's a good point, I'm not sure how many Dust players will actually realise how vast the universe above them is, how much of a difference they could be making to some aspects of EvE life and just look at it like a regular fps.

14. bowman

bowman Minimodder

I was wondering how they were going to do this. Consoles are usually way too closed.

With Sony allowing Valve to run Steam on the PS3, I guess this wasn't unexpected.

Microsoft wouldn't even let Valve release TF2 updates for the 360 without CHARGING for them.

:duh: http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?lextype=3&search=gutted

15. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I don't like EvE.
    I don't massively like the look of Dust 514 (not a fan of console FPS anyway)

However, I seriously applaud CCP for doing something innovative (both creatively and technologically), so might buy the game anyway,

16. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

It's going to be free to play. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. enciem

enciem Minimodder

Has keyboard and mouse support been implemented with anything else as of yet. Can't say I've heard of it but don't often use my PS3. If it hasn't though, I don't see this game bucking the trend

18. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Unreal Tournament 3 if I remember right.

19. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

Agreed - makes this concept pretty intriguing, actually. It could capture the feeling of being a Division or Brigade Commander, making plans, strategies and orders but ultimately having to rely on the individual Company, Platoon and squad leadership to succeed on the battlefield. This is a rich concept, and if competently and successfully executed it could be a game changer (pun only somewhat intentional).

Will keep an eye on this...

20. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

This may be the game that makes me buy a PS3.
    So much potential. CCP better not screw it up.

Tags: Add Tags